Single to Double Ring Main Circuit Conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,
I've been contemplating having my 4 way 1960's fuse box changed for split load cu. Currently I have one ring main on a 32a fuse for a three bedroom mid-terraced ex-council house. I'd like to split the circuit into an upstairs and downstairs ring main.
From an initial investigation it appears all the upstairs sockets are fed from beneath and all the downstairs sockets are fed from above.
I suspect the ring main has been run in the ground floor ceiling void.

Is it possible to modify or rewire the existing ringmain without dropping the ground floor ceilings?

Many thanks for reading this far.

Rusty Scot

Sponsored Links
Access should be possible via the floorboards on th first floor.

To split the circuits you firstly need to ascertain what sequence your sockets are cabled in. i.e. if the ground floor are on the front end of the ring and the first floor on the back end of the ring. Unfortunately knowing how a lot of houses were cabled in the past I suspect the 'daisy chain' of scokets flits from ground to first floor and back again as you progress around the ring. That gives you a problem.

I would suggest getting a PIR done which would give firstly an indication of the state of the deterioration of the cable, and secondly will give a good indication o fthe sequence of the socket ring. If the cabling is as old as the fuse box it may be that due to age and deterioration you may need to re-wire the whole house. Its pointless putting a split load cu on a circuit that is inherently dangerous in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back