single wall insulation using sheathing plywood etc etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howzit ,,,,,,, i am getting a brickwall built under a window for my garage conversion,,,, i am building the frame with sheathing plywood then kingspan followed by drywall ,,,,,,,,can anyone tell me if this is enough or whatever ,,cheeeeers

Sponsored Links
yes ,,,,,,,,cheers for responding noseall,,,,,,,,,also i have to remove the steel lintel and maybe 4 rows of bricks above the garage door ,,,i have been told the timber soffits?? dont have to be touched ??? ,,,, and all i have to do is get window fitted ,,am i on the right track

Sponsored Links
yes you're on the right track. once you have removed the garage door, frame, masonry and lintel, the new window should fit snug up to the sofitte. you may find that there will be a 40mm ish gap in the sofitte, a short fall created by the new window position compared to the previous brick work. this could be made good with plastic trim.

generally timber frame walling consists of (in to out);

plasterboard
polythene vapour barrier
c.l.s. studs + insulation
breathable membrane
10mm plywood.

yeah thought so ,,,,,,,my neighbour did his garage and i checked a few things out as it progressed,,,,,,but couldnt stand over the joiners every second of the day ,,,,ha ha ,,,,,,,would have got a hammer rammed up somewhere eh,,,,, different folk have told me do bricks 1st then window others the opposite ,,,,,,i think window 1st then i can do my frame to fit eh otherwise bricks would get in the way ????????? also the inside window sill height could be determined?,,,,,,,,the order from inside to out i have taken note ,,,, gyprock with the silver backing is that a vapour barrier? ,,,,i will be using kingspan,, does that have a breathable membrane,,,,, why im asking these questions is guy across the road used osb then kingspan then gyprock if he screwed up by making shortcuts good luck to him but i dont want to ,,,,,,, he made many short cuts and they have already started to haunt him ,,,,,,,he is younger ,,,,,ha ha ,,,,,i remember those days of ducking and diving but you always get caught out in the end ,,,,,,,im ancient now ,,,,,,learnt my lesson ,,,,,,,hope you are not young and take offense ,,,,,,,,,,cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back