Sink basin drain nut size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a modern? house 16 years old.

Been suffering with a minor leak from the bathroom sink basin.

I discovered the large nut on the plug hole was loose and cracked.
When I measure the thread it's 40mm or 1 3/4" but none that size are forsale.

Think I'm about to answer my own question lol.

I note the U bend is 1 1/4 so I guess that's the size of the nut to purchase ?!

Can anyone recommend What cement? Like sealer to use to reseal the plug hole assembly back in with ? Screwfix just down the road.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Buy yourself a new waste fitting ,comes with all the seals you need and nut. You can use " plumbers mate" for sealing, some prefer silicone ,but I don't.

Sponsored Links
Not being rude ,but do you know where to stick it ? You certainly won't need 750 grams ,don't they do a smaller one ?

Think that's the size I buy ,but I thought a much smaller one was available for the diy market. A diyer wouldn't use 750 gram in a lifetime.
Edit , apologies the size I buy is 1.5 kg

Is there a time limit on the stuff once opened, I`ve a got a tub in the van which I haven't used in maybe 4-5yrs.

Don't know ,but its supposed to be permanently flexible .make of that what you will JP.!!

Is there a time limit on the stuff once opened, I`ve a got a tub in the van which I haven't used in maybe 4-5yrs.

Unlike Boss White, which always seems to dry up on me half way through the tub, P M doesn't seem to loose it's flexibility. Made up a new basin waste the other day with some that is at least 12 years old and it worked as well as a new tub.

Stuff lasts for ages. Although you put a good sausage of it on the basin waste lip, when you tighten the back nut, most of the P M oozes out - to be returned to the tub to be used another day. Just keep the lid on tight and you will be passing it onto your grandchildren. :)

Thanks guys.

Annoyingly I have some FERNOX JOINTING COMPOUND unopened, that I purchased about 6 years ago, but I don't think its suitable.

does that actually come with a new nut though ?

I assume the black rubber is used inplace of the paste.

Would it block the overflow ??

No nut, but for the cost of a waste, I'd replace the lot. https://www.screwfix.com/p/basin-waste-with-plug-chain-10/35683 Make sure mating surfaces on basin are completely clean before fitting new waste.

Foam washer at top, between shoulder of the waste and the bottom of the basin. Cone washer pointing upwards, plastic washer with lip upwards over the edge of the cone washer. Tighten sufficiently to get leading edge of cone washer into gap between waste and underside of outlet on the basin so it forms a seal. No need for any other materials or compounds, and will never leak unless disturbed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back