basin waste nut problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have replaced my taps and waste in both my bath and wash basin. I have encountered a problem with the waste on the basin. I have a slight leak because i cannot get the waste nut tightened properly due to restricted access. This is due to the fact that i cannot remove the pedestal (to get better access) because the screws that hold it to the floor are too tight to remove, partly because these also are hard to reach have rusted and the slotted head is not in great nick due to my earlier efforts.
I have tried all sorts of pliers but none can access this nut. If you are wondering how i managed to get the old one off i resorted to using a hammer and screw driver. At first trying to loosen the plastic nut but in the end using them to break it off.
I have found a box spanner online http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=31496&PHPSESSID=bbf83b2b814f31617dacbcc01e0c7745

but am not completely sure this will do the trick. I'm not sure that the threaded barrell of the waste will pass through the box spanner to allow it to reach the 50mm (a/f ) nut. It's £25 odd inc p/p so i don't want to buy it if it's not suitable. Has anyone used this tool to give me an answer?
One other question i would like to ask. Ironicly the bath waste was a different type, where the top part (chrome plug-hole) connected to the bottom part (under the bath) using a screw through the top (plug-hole) rather than a nut from underneath (probably because of the overflow system). If the basin used this method then my problem would be solved. Can you get basin wastes that use this method of connection?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
basin wastes don't come like your bath waste.

have you not a pair pump grips you can get on it ?

Hi, yes i have tried all sorts of pliers including pump grips. There is just not enough room. Did you have a look at the box spanner link? Do you think that would work?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd be more inclined to try harder to get your pedestal off. You might be able to snap the old screws off. An impact driver is very useful in these situations I find. Next time try using a basin mate, this will solve all issues with leaky wastes.

Hi, i'm really scared that i could break the pedestal if i apply too much force. You say next time use a 'basin mate'. I've seen other references to this. Does it fit underneath the basin (between the nut i need to tighten and the basin). I would still need to tighten the nut underneath, wouldn't i?

I could buy one of these start again if it would work. Does it mean that the nut doesn't need to be as tight with this than without it?

Cheers

if you fitted new taps and waste for the sake of another two screws you could of had the basin off the wall and tightened them up.
and also work on the pedestal better.

The basin mate does away the need for sealant to seal the waste. I don't use any sealant on the waste or plumbers mait. Basically its a cone shaped rubber washer which fits between the waste and nut. You tighten this up and squeeze the cone washer, this seals the thread and the waste hole.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Sundries/Basin+Mate+1+14/d20/sd2703/p37534

As Seco says if you cant get the pedestal off just take the basin off the wall, don't go buying tools like that for a one off fix.

Hi, thanks for your replies. It never crossed my mind to take the basin off the wall probably because it's sealed in place and subconsiously i may have thought it would cause more problems than it would solve but now that you've mentioned it i will go have a look.
I still may buy the box spanner now that i know i have a plan B if it's not suitable.
If it is, it will be worth the money as i'm sure i will do this job again for someone in my family. If i buy it i will let you know if it does the job.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back