UK bathroom basin drain backnut.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently trying to change my bathroom sink drain (uk). I have very little room to get in behind the basin leg to remove the drains back nut. I have tried to remove the back nut with knipex water pump pliers, but the plier handles hit the wall so I can't get the back nut undone. I then tried a stubby wide jaw adjustable spanner, but again had no room to turn the spanner to undo the nut. I bought a basin backnut box spanner which can remove 46mm and 50mm nuts. After trying this, it seems the 50mm end is too small for the backnut. Has anyone any idea what size the backnut could be? It says online that most basin backnuts are 1 1/4, so I've no idea why this one is bigger than 50mm. Or if you have any other ideas on how to remove the drain? Thank you. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I think you’re on about the slotted waste, as opposed to the drain or trap. The size is 1.25” because it’s the size of the thread, not the backnut size. If there’s a pedestal in the way, can I be removed slightly or fully but supporting the basin? Then use footprint wrench, or water pump pliers and usually 2 screwdrivers down the slots to steady the basin waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back