Sink tap backnut removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I need to remove a kitchen tap, the backnut is 34mm internally (not sure of the external dimensions).

It looks as though the tap was fitted to the granite worktop before the worktop was fitted and whoever fitted it then drilled a hole (that is only slightly larger than the exterior dimensions of the backnut) in the top of the unit directly below the tap.

The only tool that I can see working is a box nut spanner but I have never seen any that large (I don't think that a backnut wrench will fit).

I guess that need to cut the tap off.

Will it be faster to cut the tap from above the worktop or to use my Fein to cut the back nut into 4 sections so that it falls off.

Access from below is a bit tight but I think the blades are long enough to reach up to the underside of the granite.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There is a box spanner made for the purpose. Over the counter at plumbers merchants. It's your best hope. But it's a problem with old basin that putty was used to seal tap in, and it sets rock hard, even the box spanner can fail. Last resort we angle grind out the top of the tap . Little by little when we get close to the ceramic. Until it drops out underneath.

Welcome to a though job we aren't usually paid sufficient for. "It's a little job for you" are the usual words used.I

Last edited:
Can you get a drill underneath it? If so drill out oner side of the nut and then a screwdriver to widen it.

C4 would work wonders no I use a box spanner I have one which I cut in 2 and welded socket extention bar on so a ratchet fits it but if I was you I'd use a grinder.Bob

Sponsored Links
Can you get a drill underneath it? If so drill out oner side of the nut and then a screwdriver to widen it.

Just to update.

I used a drill to drill out a corner, as you suggested and then prised the back nut apart.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

opps,
Thanks for coming back with an update - few do.

And yes, the advice you took is good, and as a DIY'er its best for you to stay away from tile, sinks, baths and basins with an angle grinder.
The other advice was also good stuff.
Although, I was originally taught to grind down the tap head to the flange, and then drill it out with a metal hole saw - but I never felt too comfortable doing it that way.

Last edited:
When choosing a new tap, have a look at the Bristan 'easyfit' range. Fitted one the other day and was impressed by the design - you fit an interface to the worktop which stays forever and the taps can be swapped out from above using o rings on posts and grub screws to hold it in place... you can then buy new taps (whenever) and it's a 2 minute job to change them (y)

http://www.bristan.com/howto/easykitchen

The "easyfit" idea is OK, but:

1. Look at the number of posts on various sites about them blowing off.
2. You're stuck with the Bristan range of taps.

You pays your money, you takes your chance. I thought it was a good idea, but yes it could be made better by design - like all things really!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back