Tap Backnut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tap Backnut size
My small Sink, has a loose tap - i looked at the access to the tap, and purchased a Tap Spanner , but when i touched the nut - it fell in half - not sure if this has been cut when the fitters installed

Anyway - I wondered what size this plastic nut is - so i can get a replacement - probably plastic , as i think brass may interfere with the sink itself

Photos attached

My otherhalf is actually talking about changing both the taps any way

But meanwhile here are some images

Do you measure the thread - for 1/2"or 3/4" size - is it BSP same as the flex connector

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Wouldn’t bother measuring, the taps will be either 1/2” or 3/4” (usually bath taps). Looking at your photo they look 1/2”, so I’d just either get these or these possibly some top hats, or other anti rotation device. Other suppliers are available.

Thanks for the very fast reply -
I thought they would be1/2" but the thread appeared to be 3/4 - hence the confusion

I was not sure if the brass would fit - and wondered why the plastic appears to be cut - But I would have thought the brass tap backnut should fit and the sink ceramic allow for fitting
Unless I have been supplied bath taps, rather than Sink taps - all kit came from one Bathroom/kitchen company

I pass screwfix/toolstation every week, so I will go along and pickup the brass version - shame they dont seem to carry plastic - or at least i cannot find

Edit
That link was useful as it explained how to measure the thread - and that 3/4" is infact 1/2 BSP

Thanks for that

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
wondered why the plastic appears to be cut
Could have been overtightened on installation, or become brittle, it is plastic after all. I’d just go with the brass ones.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - only been installed a couple of years - 2019.

Thanks again for the advice - i may get a brass one anyway , just as a temp solution, only a few pence

Other half now really wants to change the taps , as they limescale all over and not been a reliable tap as it does undo, and the washer/ring tends to break if over tighten the top part
Tap Company http://cassellie.co.uk/ went bust during covid , now purchased by mobility Group via PWC , as i was in conversation with them - re a faulty bath mixer part ....... which even when brass stops working every few months - orignally they changed under warranty - TWICE , so no confidence in the taps

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back