Sink drain leaking; but only soap suds!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to find the source of water (small puddles) which appeared under my kitchen sink. No sign of leaks and when I ran the taps and watched the pipes, nothing. Then I suddenly had a bright idea - I tipped a bowl of soapy water down and one of the pipe joints (plastic) erupted into a foamy mess. I have tightened the joint and put tape on the thread but the problem persists. I know some of the wags on the forum will say don't use washing up liquid again, but is there actually a solution to this problem? It's where the pipe from the smaller sink connects to the main run; it's a hand-tight screw joint. I wonder what you think about wrapping some waterproof tape around the top. The washer is fine, by the way.

Sponsored Links
Waterproof tape around the top! What is this Blue Peter? :D
What sort of washer are talking, flat fibre, flat rubber, cone rubber? TBH a photo taken from 2-3ft away od the connection would help.

Have to say, if the washer was fine, it wouldn't be leaking. The washer makes the seal, so something is not right! PTFE wrapped around it can sometimes make a seal, but it is a bodge. We really need to see which washer you are referring to, in order to advise properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back