Sink tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently moved into a house and in the bathroom i've noticed the wash basin’s hot water tap is loose. On inspection it appears there is no plastic nut underneath the sink to hold the tap firmly in place (like there is on the cold tap).

I'm a total novice with just about any kind of DIY so i just need to check a couple of things:

1) Can i purchase the plastic screw/nut thing to hold the tap in place from somewhere like B&Q? Are such nuts a standard size or will i need to find out the diameter of the water pipe?

2) when i have the required part i assume it's just a case of un-attaching the water pipe with a spanner to get the nut on, tightening up the tap, then putting it back together?

Sorry if theses are really obvious questions, but like i say: TOTAL NOVICE!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Greetings,

You won,t get the nut you require at B+Q,you need to go to a local plumbers merchant and get a half inch BSP backnut ,while there get
some half inch fibre washers. Start by turning off the main stop tap ,if no
isolating valve has been installed. Open hot tap to empty system.Undo
nut on pipe + fit new backnut to tap. Put new fibre washer on tap connector +tighten. De-isolate water supply+ check for leaks.

Regards.K.

If you turn off the main stopcock then turn on the hot tap, the hot water will run until your cold tank is empty. Look for a pipe leading from the bottom of the cold tank to the bottom of the hot tank. It will most likely be a big pipe. That's the cold feed. Now look for a stop valve in it and turn it off. You will still waste some hot water but only that which is in the pipes above your tap.

You won't find it easy to tighten that back nut or break and remake the joint to the tap without the right tool, namely a basin wrench. These come in various styles and at various prices. Mine is a cheap one with a claw shaped spanner at each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back