sink wall fixing..

And clean that flux off, or it'll rot the pipes ;)

Sponsored Links
I recently fitted a sink in my downstairs loo.... the sink is small but i have problems with it being securely fitted to the wall.

It is fitted with two metal brackets... from the front they are normal rectangles... and from the side, if you imagine a capital Y and delete one of the two upper up rights (?)... you have a metal plate to screw to the wall and a slot where the sink sits... Problem is that the metal is quite flexible, Have i missed sommat?

Ta.
The answer is in the Y :idea: shape bracket - made by the Y uk Fu manuflactluring co. in China :rolleyes: Once upon a time we had Cast metal ones from the UK . Basins would wedge down as tight as a Nun`s chuff on those brackets . Just another example of the shyte you have to buy nowadays :cry:

Well hot and cold is on speedfit conns, turn off water and push those off, surely you have service valves? Undo trap and take basin off its brackets. Apply mastic to the rear of the basin place back on the brackets and fit back the water connections. It would pay you to wedge it back firmly with something like I mentioned before also.

ok, many thanks, i'll give that a go... by service valves, do you mean stop cock?

but will a glue based solution not just rip the paper off of the plasterboard?

Older basins were often shaped so a section of porcelain behind the waste fitting rested against the wall, dramatically reducing the load on the fixings.

I would consider replicating that with a piece of 4mm ally sheet ('coz I happen to have some) cut to a 'U' shape, with a hole for the waste to fit through, clamped up with a second backnut, and trimmed / formed so the 'top' of the 'U' rests against / is screwed to the wall.

Or fit a pedestal under the basin to prop it up, then it can't go anywhere.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back