Sink waste and sludge in washing machine waste hose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas, hope someone can brainstorm this for me. Just disconnected the old WD in prep for a new one - goodbye hotpoint wd440 hello Miele - was a bit surprised to find a lot of food type waste and sludge inside the washing machine waste hose (where it connects to kitchen sink ubend).
It wasn't just inside the lip, it was a good ways inside too, maybe 30cm or so, any further and it's hard to tell without cutting it open lol. That goes out in the morning with the old machine but I dont want a repeat of this and she who must be obeyed says she noticed a few times weird stains appear on clothes so that she needed to wash them again, could it be the sludge worked its way all the way into the machine??

After dismantling and cleaning the sink pipes myself to pass time when testing for water tight fit i noticed water does pour out the waste attachment when the sink is draining. I assumed there would be some kinda one way flow...flap...or something there fo...but no...maybe I invented this in my mind (patent pending!)

The waste hose is connected to the ubend by something like this if you google it ''FloPlast THC40 washing machine nozzle'' except ours comes out at 90 degrees (horizontal) and doesn't tilt up at 45 degrees like these do. Is it that simple or are foul deeds at play here???

Many thanks,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
I found this problem with my daughters set up a few years ago, she too had a 90 degree fitting. Changed it for a 45 degree one and it seemed to work.
You will get a build up of sludge in any waste system, be it sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc Just a case of giving them a clean every 6 months or so with some drain cleaner down the drain and using a very hot wash, without a load, of your DW and WM. It won't completely stop it but it will certainly reduce the problem. It's caused by the soaps used.

I found this problem with my daughters set up a few years ago, she too had a 90 degree fitting. Changed it for a 45 degree one and it seemed to work.
You will get a build up of sludge in any waste system, be it sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc Just a case of giving them a clean every 6 months or so with some drain cleaner down the drain and using a very hot wash, without a load, of your DW and WM. It won't completely stop it but it will certainly reduce the problem. It's caused by the soaps used.

Thanks Conny, i'll head down to the plumbers down the road and get a replacement one for that then. Happy to clean things out once in a while so not an issue there. Thanks for the info, 45degree one it is :) Cheers!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back