sink waste glued together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there

long time reader of the forum, lots of great advice and perhaps you can help.
im replacing a sink so the drain in the new one is about two inches to the left of the old. The previous owner seems to have glued all the joints on waste pipes from below the trap, which means i cant shift it at all in any direction or remove and extend any pipes without sawing into them.

can i saw it all out and start again, but how to make good at the point of the saw cut? simply with a nut and washer - will that give me the seal i need?

apologies if this is basic, but its a weird one for me...and it seemed like a simple job!

thanks

Sponsored Links
It'll be solvent welded. If you were ever a model builder, same glue.

You can cut back into the original run wherever you need to . Either a pair of plastic shears or a hacksaw, or fine toothed woodsaw. You can then use new solvent weld or compression fittings/pipe to connect it all back up again.

Either a file or a sheet of 120 grit to clean up the saw cut if using compressions to safeguard the seals.

If you decide to use solvent weld to do the new section, just be aware the joints will set in seconds, so assemble it 'dry' and make sure everything is how you want it before gluing! ;)

def use solvent, make sure edges are smooth and clean before hand. Also note its very strong in smell

Sponsored Links
What's implied but not mentioned is you cannot use push fit on solvent pipe, or vice versa. Compression on both is fine though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back