Sinking a patress

FatGit said:
I don't think it is thermalite. Looks quite solid.

All the methods mentioned with the correct manual dexterity work. As mentioned the key element is the fabric of wall your attempting to work.

Some walls are brick, render, plaster- If your lucky and the plaster and render have a decent depth, your be 15mm in to the wall before you hit brick and by then the face will be cut firm enough not to break up.

The minute you have thin skim plaster, little or no render and then engineering bricks your going to be doomed.

I'll suggest the obvious and say why not change each room over when you decorate the room? I say that because out of 20 boxes, without meaning to sound harsh- Some will blow and then you will have to make good / redecorate anyway :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If its a 1930's semi you'll have old plaster over brick. Most likely it will crumble and slide down behind some of the wallpaper.

Chri5 said:
FatGit said:
I don't think it is thermalite. Looks quite solid.

All the methods mentioned with the correct manual dexterity work. As mentioned the key element is the fabric of wall your attempting to work.

Some walls are brick, render, plaster- If your lucky and the plaster and render have a decent depth, your be 15mm in to the wall before you hit brick and by then the face will be cut firm enough not to break up.
We have one wall here that is brick-pebbledash-bonding-skim, I dread to think how hard it would be to get a neat chase or box hole in that.

Sponsored Links
If you're going to put the new socket slightly below the old one, won't that leave a shadow on the wallpaper above the new socket?

Personally, I'd try to put the new socket directly over the old one. The cable will not be fixed behind the wall and it will come into the back of the old socket, with some play in it. So, I'd use a clothes peg to clamp the cable close to the end of the cable and then push the peg back onto the wall thus pushing the cable away from the rear face of the wall. This will give you clearance behind the wall for any excursion of your drill or chisel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back