Look what I found under my wallpaper!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

When this house was last decorated (before I bought it) they had obviously not invented the spirit level, the 90 degree square or decided that doing a decent job was the right thing. :D

Anyway, we decided to strip the horrible (terracotta coloured) 20 yr old blown wallpaper out of the kitchen this week so we can paper & paint it a lighter colour etc.

Well, looking at the state of the walls I can see why they used blown wallpaper so much, it has hidden so much & the walls need a bit of repair & re skimming first there is the nightmare of this houses previous owners electrics to deal with.

Even my wife was shocked at the way the mains cable (2.5mm t/e) appears to have been fitted (but not surprised).
(Diagonally - the Grey strip of plaster)
View media item 8961
Down in the bottom left corner (just to the left of the ball on the cat scratching post) is a single socket, from here there is (ISTR) an unfused cable feeding the cooker extraction fan & I bet it also feeds a double socket that is inside the fireplace space that now houses a cooker.
(I may be removing the extractor & its cable or fitting a FCU)
(The socket has the gas cooker plugged into it for the ignition & timer)

Top r/h corner the cable comes out under the floorboards in the bedroom above, I can't remember but there was possibly a junction box there (eek!).

Anyway, I was made redundant last month so this is supposed to be just a paint & paper job, doing as little as possible to tidy the kitchen up.

However, looking at how close I came to being electricuted while fitting a notice board my inner voice is screaming at me to move that cable into safe zones at the very least so that neither my family or the next drill into it. (this reminds me to dig my plug in RCD out & put it in the drill box).

AFAIK a safe zone is 150mm from the ceiling & directly above the socket?

(Please do not mention notification or paying a qualified electrician to do this - I already know these things).

Sponsored Links
Also, should the boiler have some bonding cables on the pipes?

Currently (as far as I can see) there is nothing but the mains input cabling providing an earth to the boiler.

View media item 8962
And yes I know there are some lighting cables running in amongst the pipes, I am planning to move or completely remove these soon.

P.S. before anyone asks - about 4000+ HCF4040 & LM324 non ROSH IC's in tubes that were being thrown out by my previous employer, also hence the 2 fire blankets & extinguisher :D

Sponsored Links
I have a new CU with RCD's in getting dusty in the cupboard...

Till then I think I'll still be safer using the portable one :D

An RCD on a portable tool only protects the tool itself. It so the RCD will tip if a fault develops in the tool.

If you drill into a live cable then the drill will become live. The RCD on the drill will not protect you.

You should not be doing electrical work if you do not understand that simple principle.....

mattylad, what variety of worcester boiler is that? Looks very similar underneath to mine - a 9.24 electronic (back in the days when electronic was something to brag about hehe)

Yep, 9.24 BF electronic.

Obsoleted many years ago and a constant cause of lots of problems.
urrent one is overheating (likely clogged DHW HE).

(Please do not mention notification or paying a qualified electrician to do this - I already know these things).
Turn off the circuit.

Drill into the cable.

Replacing a damaged cable isn't notifiable....

Cheers BAS, thats a good idea, and obviously if I am to replace it I should put it into a safe zone.

Although I'm a bit puzzled over how to drill into the cable when the electric is turned off :LOL: :LOL:

I have yet to get around to investigating this further, maybe later today if I get time.

Cheers BAS, thats a good idea, and obviously if I am to replace it I should put it into a safe zone.
Of course - the law says you must.

Although I'm a bit puzzled over how to drill into the cable when the electric is turned off :LOL: :LOL:
3440jpgdbboptocsitemadv.jpg

BAS. I will always give defference to your knowledge and i point this out not in the mood of awkwardness but genuine interest.

page 21 of the 17th edition of electricians guide to the building regs says that you can replace a damaged cable for a single circuit only without notifying but it goes on to say that (in the cream section notes (a)) On condition that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity and follows the same route. This could be interpretted wierdly as the present route is clearly wrong but the cable "must follow the same route". It goes on to say that guidance note 7 provides more information on special locations. I do not have a copy.

As i say, you probably know something i don't or see the info on page 21 a different way :)

BAS is referring to the law (Building Regulations 2000). This says: 'replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;' requires no building notice. That's all it says.

Other guides are just that. Guides, but not law.

hi 3036, indeed it does refer to this also in building regs 2000 approved document p. I don't wish to seem pedantic and i can see the dichotomy in the fact that the regulations state that any alteration must meet current requirements so in replacing a damaged cable and relaying it in the old transgressing route does not seem to comply and so as BAS says the law dictates that you must route it in a safe zone. However changing the route means you need to notify.

Maybe it comes down to the definition of route, or maybe i should shut up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back