Sinking radiator pipes into the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I am in the process of redecorating my living room and I will most likely be getting the entire room replastered, I am tracking the walls for my surround sound system to hide all the cables and I want to try and get rid of my radiator pipes.

All my downstairs radiators are brought in from the ceiling so in my living room I have two radiators, one either side of the room with 2 pipes on each running from the ceiling right down, I think it looks pretty crap and I would like to sink these into the wall if possible.

My brother did some plumbing for a few years so he can do all the basics but want to get some proper advice because going ahead with this.

My plans are something like this

Remove radiators, which I will be doing anyway to finish stripping wall paper.

Drain system, lift some floor boards upstairs and find the pipes, cut the pipe and remove it, I will probably have to cut a chunk out of my ceiling around the pipe to do this but my ceiling is getting re plastered also so not a huge problem.

Once I have all 4 pipes removed then I will cut the track out of the wall for the pipe (Solid wall, not stud), is there anything special I will need to do before re plastering because of the heat from the pipes?

Then I will just either extend the exisiting pipe I removed or run a new pipe and connect it back onto where I previously cut?

Sorry about the brief descriptions, I have probably missed some obvious parts out but if someone could provide any advice about this it would great or if it will be worth the hassle? Is it even safe to do this, I am not really sure?

Thanks for any advice.
David.

Sponsored Links
dont plaster straight over heating pipes mate, the plaster will just crack over time. If you can, either create a deep chase and bury the pipes then foam them, let the foam go off then cut it flush... Plasterer can go straight over the foam.

Other option (best) is to clip them to the wall and dot&dab straight over them....

Just make sure you test before you plaster over! Or use one continuous length of pipe (plastic or bent copper) for the buried bit so there are no joints to fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back