Sistering Joists To Comply With Regs...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm carrying out a 3 bed 1930s semi renovation and having moved the bathroom upstairs I've sistered the joists as specified by my structural engineer (same size timber, M12 coachbolted and toothed connectors at 450 centres).

BCO is coming round for first inspection on Monday and am a little nervous to say the least (mainly because I work during the day and so can't just keep having site visits).

Before he comes round to inspect it can I just clarify please:

1)Should there be a gap between the joists where the tooth connectors are? It's only about 5mm but on some it's minimal and they butt right up against each other.

2)Do I need noggins? SE didn't specify that I did - I've started putting runs in but not sure if these need to be in to get it approved?

3)Some joists have about 5mm gap around them where they've been built into the wall - do they need to be solid? And do they need damp proofing?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
I would not worry about BCO inspections ... they don't look that closely, and will just advise you if anything needs doing, not tell you off

If the joists are bolted tight, then that is good enough. Tooth connectors are a bit of a waste of time and can leave a slight gap.

Noggins are good for spans over 2.5m - one in centre of span

Run some mastic sealant around joists built into the walls to seal any gaps. No need for extra damp proofing unless the walls have a damp problem. Joist ends should be preservative treated though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back