Sitting programmer/stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just recently moved into a new build and believe there is a fundamental flaw in the upstairs heating design. I have a gas fired Vaillant eco plus 618 boiler and an unvented system. The prog/stat is situated on the landing and I am informed that a bypass is required and as such the radiator in the master bedroom has no TRV. There is also no rad on the landing and a passive input ventilation outlet there.

The problem I have is that the landing is struggling to get up to temperature; no rad plus void being filled with cold air from the loft via the PIV. As a result the master bedroom rad is running full tilt and making the room way too hot.

The developers have suggested fitting a trv to this rad and taking the one off the towel rad in the bathroom; problem solved! With this set up I now see the bedrooms coming up to temperature and turning off on their respective TRVs, only for the boiler to keep running for the timed period, trying to get the landing up to temperature.

To my mind the way to solve this problem would be to fit a rad on the landing. I would appreciate any suggestions on a suitable resolution.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant 618 has a built in bypass so no external bypass required, plus building regs require trv's to be fitted in all living spaces, ie bedrooms and living rooms except where your room thermostat is located

Many thanks Murphtek for your reply. When I first read up about the boiler it was my understanding that it had a bypass. When we viewed the property, just prior to completion, the prog/stat was installed in the master bedroom along with the rad without a TRV. However when we moved in, the stat had been moved to the landing. When I asked why, they said that it had been moved because whoever signs off the heating installation had said that if left in the bedroom it would be affected by the en suite towel rad. This made no sense to me.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I think the simple answer is to get them to fit the prog/stat in the main bedroom. Whilst not ideal there seems no enthusiasm for fitting a rad on the landing. Whilst other bedrooms in the house will be limited to the temp that the main bedroom is set to, it seems the most reasonable solution.

Thanks guys. I think the simple answer is to get them to fit the prog/stat in the main bedroom. Whilst not ideal there seems no enthusiasm for fitting a rad on the landing. Whilst other bedrooms in the house will be limited to the temp that the main bedroom is set to, it seems the most reasonable solution.
Thats the idea mate, if the rest of the radiators in the house have been sized correctly (which I doubt very much) then they should heat up at the same rate as the bedroom and once the bedroom is at the correct set temperature then the rest of the house should be too, unfortunately not many engineers size rads correctly and just fit what looks good in the middle of the window and you end up with some hot and some cold rooms...

Many thanks Murphtek for your reply. When I first read up about the boiler it was my understanding that it had a bypass. When we viewed the property, just prior to completion, the prog/stat was installed in the master bedroom along with the rad without a TRV. However when we moved in, the stat had been moved to the landing. When I asked why, they said that it had been moved because whoever signs off the heating installation had said that if left in the bedroom it would be affected by the en suite towel rad. This made no sense to me.
So left in the bedroom it would be affected by the towel rail ? so lets move it to the landing where there is no heat source, Hmmmm clever, while the landing is cold the rest of the house where you spend all your time is bloody cooking :(

I know. Who designs these systems? This is a supposedly reputable developer.

Thanks Old&Cold for the tip. I do however has some issues with the theory behind installing a piv. To my mind the principal behind the modern build is that it should be designed and constructed to be as efficient as possible. I have been advised by the site manager to run the piv 24/7 and run the extractors in the bathrooms continually on trickle. Whilst they all have low wattage motors, nevertheless they are running continuously. The piv is wired into an unswitched fcu in the loft which I have no means of turning off. The temperature dropped to 3.4c last night which the piv is dumping onto our unheated landing. I haven't yet tested the temperature difference when the heater is switched on, but I suspect it won't have a huge impact. To my mind a much better and cost efficient way is to install a MVHR system. Anyway enough of my ramblings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back