Air vent on CH pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to adjust pipework to allow our kitchen rad to work on its own zone valve. Just as I was about to start I thought of a potential issue.

The boiler is in the garage (ground floor), the flow will run across the garage, up across the first floor landing and back down to the kitchen rad on the ground floor.

Potential air lock in pipe as it crosses the landing I'm thinking, as it's the highest point with no air vent in my master plan.

What's the best way round? Is there some kind of auto air vent with won't need servicing that can be fitted under the floorboards on the landing?

Do I need to run the flow down the landing to the old airing cupboard (we have combi) where I can install an accessible air vent, and then pipe back along landing to go down wall to rad?

Or is there some other amazing way round it I don't know of.....yet?

Sponsored Links
if your going spend the money on an AAV buy a spirovent. It will set you back 40 quid+ but you wont really get a better one on the market. These come as a half inch female thread as standard so youl have to get a copper to iron to convert to copper. I personally use a good quality ballofix valve (boss or ball'o'fix) and use this as the copper to iron, this gives you isolation the the AAV if there was ever to be a problem and means it can be changed without draining down the system.

Sponsored Links
It's because the kitchen doesn't have a TRV, and also has doors leading to a conservatory that quite often lets cold air in; the stat in the hall wouldn't really react to that. I'm zoning a load of other stuff at the same time, so for the sake of another £100 I may as well put it on its own. Even if I were to plumb it off the zone that will consist of the rest of the downstairs floor, I'd still have the same air vent issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back