Size of meter tails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Not having come from a BS7671-centric British electrician's background, what I don't have is an absolute insistence that every last regulation within BS7671 needs to be followed, and an illogical approach adopted by some that something which was installed yesterday and considered pefectly fine (including by all the electricians working to BS7671 at the time) suddenly becomes "wrong" or even "dangerous" today just because a rule has been updated.
The world is full of examples where things change, and what was considered OK to be newly done yesterday is no longer considered OK to be newly done today

Things change.

That's the way it works.

Get over it.

Sponsored Links
I mean it is totally legal to DIY all the electrical system as long as it is signed off.
Two points there:

1) It depends on what you mean by "signed off"

2) The legality of it also requires the person doing it to be competent. FYI - you are not.

The landlords builders had one of his none Part P men do all the installation or extend an installation. He leaves the main fuse out.
First, pause there and consider you are postulating a situation where an unregistered electrician has committed a criminal offence.

What does the inspecting Spark do? Fail it because it doesn't have a metal consumer unit box?
Was the CU installed as part of the work, or was the work altering an installation which already had a plastic CU?

In this case the existing consumer unit looks modern with mcb's. To replace is a messy job in redecoration using an expensive metal unit box and 25mm tail back to the meter. And expensive. To me, fitting a 'metal' single box with an RCD/incomer with 25mm from meter to new RCD box, connect onto existing 16mm tails to the consumer unit and then having a 80A main fuse if a 100A fitted (by the Spark or DNO man), should do it.
"To you" it might.

But that's because you don't know what you are talking about.

But some say its OK and others not. The householder is interested in safety not inconvenience. To get safety is going to cost fortune, when a simple RCD can do it all and make the installation a hell of a lot more safe than before. Some would stay unsafe rather than pay. Madness to me.
Please don't say that some benighted householder has the misfortune to have you advising him in electrical design matters.

Does he know how ignorant you are?

Does he know how you refuse to listen to anybody who doesn't tell you that what you in your ignorance have decided is OK, is OK?

Last edited by a moderator:
First, pause there and consider you are postulating a situation where an unregistered electrician has committed a criminal offence.
No. It's a situation in which the landlord commissioning the work may or may not have done so, depending upon whether the work involved was notifiable or not. Extensions may not involve adding a new circuit (if you can figure out what that means anyway) or the replacement of a consumer unit, or work in a "special location."

Was the CU installed as part of the work, or was the work altering an installation which already had a plastic CU?
Should that affect the code given on the report? Either way it does not comply with the current rules in BS7671.

No. It's a situation in which the landlord commissioning the work may or may not have done so, depending upon whether the work involved was notifiable or not. Extensions may not involve adding a new circuit (if you can figure out what that means anyway) or the replacement of a consumer unit, or work in a "special location."
You've missed the point - this is not about notification, it's about tampering with DNO equipment and removing the fuse.

Should that affect the code given on the report? Either way it does not comply with the current rules in BS7671.
It does affect it greatly, depending on whether it involved a CU newly installed, which has to comply with the current rules, or if it did not, in which case the scope of the report does not include the existing CU.

ban-all-sheds, The legality of it also requires the person doing it to be competent. FYI - you are not.

Want to bet sunshine. I do not have to justify myself to a prat. PBC_1966 has shown you up a few times. Electrical work on the craft side is easy, it is knowing regs. As this thread proves, even electricians are confused. You come across as a pest very rarely giving anything useful.

ban-all-sheds, The legality of it also requires the person doing it to be competent. FYI - you are not.

Want to bet sunshine.
It's a bet I'd win, if I could ever find anyone daft enough to take it.

I do not have to justify myself to a prat.
You could not justify yourself to anyone.

PBC_1966 has shown you up a few times.
20120622052737!Rofl.gif

Electrical work on the craft side is easy, it is knowing regs.
You have to be prepared to learn them first. I'd ask if you see the problem there, but I know your brain doesn't work like that.

As this thread proves, even electricians are confused.
No it doesn't.

You come across as a pest very rarely giving anything useful.
You would think that, as you have very twisted idea of what is "helpful".

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back