size windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a nice view and have planning permission to enlarge an existing dormer to take advantage. the new window would be 4.5m long and 1.4m deep, i want as much view and as little window frames as possible any advice where i can get such a window or do i have to have 2 with great big lump in middle of my view. also doe sanyone know if i will need steel for that span or should i ask engineer to do calcs.

Sponsored Links
Match the window to the rest of the house if you have pvc then go the same etc, remember you need openers for ventilation and timber will last 100+ years.

sorry my question was can i get 4.5m windows, every company ive talked to has said i need two 2.25 ms butted in the middle, if i can where? cheers jon

Sponsored Links
ahhh right, guessing were talking plastic here to get that in 1 piece would be awkward to handle you would need to rope it up the outside with at least 2 ropes and even unglazed it would weigh a bit, i see you are in hampshire so you could try a company called 7 day windows in camberley they are a supply only firm that make and deliver your windows in 7 days :)
I've used them and price and quality is good, if you can't find them i will dig the number out.

It's not every company that would be able to handle and supply a 4.5m sheet of glass. I ould contact Pilkingtons and St Gobain and ask them for names of likely suppliers.
A 4.5m lintel does not have to be steel. A gluelam (layers of timber glued together) beam has some advantages over steel.

Are you thinking of having a large centre pane say 1.8 wide by full height?
This size is determined by the max size and spec of the unit. You could then have 3 windows bolted together then. Also check the weight as a 4mm DG unit weighs 22 kg/sq metre. Trust me that is heavy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back