Sizing over polystyrene?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating a room in which I have lined the two external walls with a 'polystyrene on a roll' base (warmaline from b&Q). Can anyone tell me if it is neccessary to size again over the top of the polystyrene before papering as these are now uncoated? I intend to use anaglypta type paper.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Won't these drip hot polystyrene & give off fumes nicely in a fire?

Think its fire retardent now, just turns to dust when it gets near flames. I would use a ready mixed adhesive on top of the polystyrene backing. normal past will stick but it doesnt stay on fro long.

You wont need to size the polysterene, its not permiable..but id recommend linging it first though as the joints have a bad habit of shrinking when your papering over the stuff

Use a ready mixed paste as the ordinary stuff tends to skid everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Yep. forgot about the lining paper. The joints can pull apart if your not careful as zampa says. come to strip it off years later and it will fly off the top of the polystyrene. Dont like it much and wont use it .

I have used it to cover a cracked ceiling, gives a nice flat finish and covers blemishes, is not subject to damage from knocks and scrapes up there (this is a real problem on walls). Paints easy with matt emulsion.

Yep. forgot about the lining paper. The joints can pull apart if your not careful as zampa says. come to strip it off years later and it will fly off the top of the polystyrene. Dont like it much and wont use it .

Dont you mean forget about the size Rob?

I have used it to cover a cracked ceiling, gives a nice flat finish and covers blemishes, is not subject to damage from knocks and scrapes up there (this is a real problem on walls). Paints easy with matt emulsion.

Are you talking the kotex warmline stuff here John?...because I find uts murder for knocks and scrapes..you only have to press your fingers on it and you end up with a depression in it..and as for painting over direct, it wold leave the texture of the polysterene.

I hate the stuff..it does indeed cover small blimishes etc but is a pig to cut and hang

Even marks from the paer hanging brush stay in it sometimes.

I avoid it like the plague

I don't remember clearly, but I think the stuff I used (not my current house) was called polystyrene veneer. It had a smooth side and a rougher side. Thick matt emulsion fills the texture enough to look OK on a ceiling where it is not close to the eye.

My BiL did one ceiling for me, with lining paper on top, but I am not a skilled paperhanger and ceilings are particularly difficult so when I did it I just painted it.

Cutting and joining is easy, just overlap and knife through both layers.

You are a much more skilled decorator than me, so I expect you can get a good result with just lining paper.

No i wouldnt size over the polystyrene before papering but would use a stronger adhesive. I meant i forgot about lining it before putting any other paper over it. A senior moment :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back