Sizing walls prior to papering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a query for any pro's reading this post. I was at my son in law' s dad's house today and he was sizing his living room wall with normal mix paste prior to lining. He said he preferred that method than watering down to a thin mix to minimise splashes, particularly on the ceiling. He also said that when his lining paper is up he sizes that prior to top paper. I have always lined underneath decorative paper but have never sized the lining paper and have always used a very watery size on plaster prior to lining. What are the pro's opinions on this. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends how absorbent the surface is ! If its thirsty, ie: powdery and very dry I would paste the surface prior to lining, this will stop the surface sucking the paste off the paper. You cant have too much paste really as it will always dry out. Not enough and the paper will come off or lift when painted. I don't generally size the lining paper as the whole idea of it is to give one surface that's the same absorbency rate all over.

Cheers for reply
Robbie. Worth bearing in mind when I next decorate. My walls are powdery so will size with normal mix paste.

Cheers for reply
Robbie. Worth bearing in mind when I next decorate. My walls are powdery so will size with normal mix paste.

Water down the paste, it will penetrate the plaster better. But do let it dry before papering.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back