Skew Brick on Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Anyone got some insight to skew bricks.

I have and end terrace 1894 sandstone house and I susspect there is water entering the gable end wall through the roofing skew bricks. This is due to gaps in the pointing between the bricks.

There is some debate as whether to lead over these brick or to address the pointing. The lead obviously costs more but may be a permanant solution to the problem.

Any views greatly appreciated.

Cheers

c4mpo

Sponsored Links
:idea: bigger undercloak, barge soffit? :idea:

unfortunately, if you live in a house whereby the gable end wall is not square, meaning the roof has to be built in-skew also, then the roof elevation that diminishes with the wall is prone to have the water run-off going over said wall.

usually, the other half of the roof, the one that is on the increasing side, is normally ok.

Hi

Not sure what you mean the brick in question come down either side of the chimney onto of gable end and I understand another name for them is coping.

Is this what you are talking about?

Is lead the best option or as suggested bigger undercoat and barge soffit ?

Sponsored Links
Hi

What I have is a gable end wall made from red sandstone with coping face bricks along the top of the gable end. So an invert 'V' with the chimney at the top of the 'V'. The roof rafters are fixed to this gable end. The roof does not overlap over the gable end i.e. the tiles stop and the coping bricks start.

Hope this helps, I will put a photo on if required.

Kind regards

Without seeing the photo I am guessing that you have got a small parapet with a double cant brick on edge coping and a sand/cement fillet which has cracked. This is quite common with these fillets. A lead flashing is better.
Put a photo on if possible.

Yeap

That sounds exactly like it.

I will get a photo, asap

Have to be weekend as dark in morning and when I get home

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back