Skim coat peeling off when painting - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We had a living room walls and ceiling skimmed and I repainted it after it dried (after a good few weeks due to lack of time). As advised by the plasterer, I have used Leyland Leytex breathable paint as we wanted to the walls to be white anyway.

I did the mist coat of 9:1 paint and water (as pwr instructions on the paint bucket) and then undiluted paint for the top coat. Everything was going well except for one party wall where the skim started peeling off when rolling the paint on. It just stuck to the roller in chunks. You could hear a hollow sound when tapped the area around the peeled off skim.

The plasterer came back and cut around the peeled off sections and filled with Easifill. When doing so he noticed some cracks under the skim coat and suggested that there was some movemet in the wall which caused the cracks and skim to get unstuck (hence the hollow sound when tapped snd peeling off).

I had this wall chased out from corner to corner and put the hot&cold and waste pipes for the future extension, so quite a deep chase for my non-builder mind. The same plasterer filled in the chase by putting some wire in and filling it with Thistle Hardwall or perhaps just plaster. So I am a bit concerned that the corner where the pipes punch out through the external wall for future extension could be sagging and causing this problem. Does this sound plausible?

Fast forward a month or so since Easifilling and I got round to repainting this fixed wall only to face the same issue again but in a different spot (that was previously painted ok).

What are my options for this wall? Does the skim need stripping back and redoing or are there alternatives? Moreover, should the weight of the wall above the chase be supported with anything else other than wire and filling to prevent this problem from reocurring? Or is there another root cause to this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_204712.jpg
    IMG_20210402_204712.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20210402_204741.jpg
    IMG_20210402_204741.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 453
Sponsored Links
BAD PREP, get your money back, get another plasterer in, and get the job done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back