Skimmimg issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Son had stairwell skimmed after a couple of days a patch (couple sg feet) was cracked and blown. Skimmer came back and redone, same thing happened and some other parts have developed cracks.
I doubt if the guy will come back a third time and the chances are he wouldnt cure it. The area is too large for my amatuerish attempts and he cant really afford to get someone else in.
By all accounts the finish (apart from stated defects) looks good so the skimmer is not a novice.
There is no damp or other noticeable things that I can see would influence it to blow. He did buy the skim new and he did PVA the walls.
Any ideas on what caused it and any thoughts on a decent patch up short term. I could skim smaller areas for him if necessary, but wouldnt tackle the complete stairwell.
My thoughts (due to finance) are for him to leave as long as possible providing it doesnt start falling off the wall.
Whats the pros thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
Does sound either like a suction issue or a bad mix.
Do you have photos to upload of the areas.
If you are a novice at plastering I would suggest using a one coat plaster as it will give you a longer workable time as it does not cure as quickly.
It can also be lightly sanded once cured if you do have any imperfections in your work.
If the areas are really same patches, easi-fill can be used, this may mean a two or three applications and sanding after each application using 150-180 grit paper.

Get the guy back. If I did bad work I'd be happy to come back a hundred times to sort it. I'd apologise for the inconvenience caused too - as would most of the guys in here.

Don't use one coat either - it's not for skimming with.

It sounds like the prep work wasnt done correctly if the skim is blowing.
Assuming he has gone over existing plaster, did he mix pva up right and not to weak, did he pva day before then another coat prior to skimming, waiting to go of tacky.
Blue Grit might have been a better option, this is a bonding agent and more suitable.

Sponsored Links
Don't use one coat either - it's not for skimming with.
It can be used for both patch up and skimming. It would not be my preferred choice, as I would nearly always use Multi-Finish. If you do use Multi-Finish by adding a little dry-wall adhesive to the mix it will also extend workable time.
But I do agree you must contact the person who did this work for you, give them the chance to rectify the unsatisfactory work, before you start doing any work on the wall. As soon as you start doing work on this area, you may find the plasterer will no longer take responsibility.
The wall does need to be primed with a decent quality PVA to.
What condition was the wall in that was being skimmed?
Had it been painted?

No it can't. Have you ever used it?

I have used it on small areas, but as stated not my preferred choice.
The advantage it has to the DIYer is that is workable for longer and can be both sanded and sponged down to rectify any minor sub-standard work.
I would buy the Thistle product though.

It's got aggregate in it. It'll roll all over like marbles if you try to skim with it.

I got the impression from my son the guy wont come back a third time hence looking for an amateur remedy. I did get some advice from this forum a couple of weeks back re skimming for myself and although I was happy with results, it was a small wall and I wouldnt want to tackle a stairwell. Thats why I reckon leave and see the extent as I would tackle smaller patches for him if thats how it settles down.
From what I can gather the wall was stripped of all paper and prepared as should be, the wall had no issues re damp etc. I suspect a PVA issue.
Maybe another clue... some areas have hairline cracks but not blown (yet) would this point to something, (maybe the skim mix)

Apart from the blown parts I have to say the finish was a damn site better than I could have done so he couldnt have been a total amateur, very flat walls and neat corners/edging.

If I did bad work I'd be happy to come back a hundred times to sort it. I'd apologise for the inconvenience caused too - as would most of the guys in here.

I have to agree, I do a lot of work for others, tiling some woodwork and other odd jobs, I dont charge a penny as its for people I know but even then I will go back as often as necessary to get a decent finish if they are not happy. Jees I even took a weeks holiday a few years back to paint the interior of a mates house, that did **** me off though as I didnt even get a bottle of malt for my efforts!

Juco. If it's got little cracks in it then it's fooked. It hasn't been prepped properly and most of it will need scraping off and re-doing.

I'm sorry joe but prentice boy is right, you lay the one coat on and let it go off for a while then throw some water on it and sponge float it up, that brings all the bits up then you leave it for a while and flatten it out and bring it to a finish..We used to use it a lot in the 80's and it can be built out to 2"s leavin each coat to firm up a bit then add to it. It didn't catch on as it wasn't cost effective , but it was used quite alot in Germany and on the continent (applied with a pump) and then trowelled to a finish....

No it can't. It's got aggregate in it - ie - it's not smooth - it's lumpy. Stop digging.
I am not digging, I have been trying to give you subtle hints that you have not been applying it correctly.
joe it is always best to read the manufacturers instructions, which I kindly linked to you because I have heard this mentioned before but normally by people that have either not used it or have used it but applied and worked it the same as a board/multli-finish, therefore have not been applying and working the product as it should have been.
So I am in no hole that a spade(if I am allowed to use that word) is needed.

Juco. If it's got little cracks in it then it's fooked. It hasn't been prepped properly and most of it will need scraping off and re-doing

Ah well looks like he has decisions to make (son) I may try and help out but not keen for such a large area. Will review in the new year.

Thanks for the replies guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back