Skimmimg issue

juco,
So what we have is a revisited area that has failed twice.
Also you are now getting cracks in areas that are still drying.
We are really back to where we started, it is either bad surface preparation or a several bad mixes.
So the plaster may have a talent for troweling on and flattening out and finishing. But may not prep walls right or use a good PVA brand. Or has been really unlucky with bad bags or has mixed his quantities powder to water (dry or too wet).
Were two coats of both PVA and of finishing plaster applied?
Have you seen previous work done by the plasterer?
You really need to contact the plasterer and offer them the chance to sort it out or you will require a full refund and added charges for the inconvenience.

Sponsored Links
No it can't. It's got aggregate in it - ie - it's not smooth - it's lumpy. Stop digging.
I am not digging, I have been trying to give you subtle hints that you have not been applying it correctly.
joe it is always best to read the manufacturers instructions, which I kindly linked to you because I have heard this mentioned before but normally by people that have either not used it or have used it but applied and worked it the same as a board/multli-finish, therefore have not been applying and working the product as it should have been.
So I am in no hole that a spade(if I am allowed to use that word) is needed.

That's not a skim coat. I know how to use it for deeper holes (up to 2 inches). A skim coat is only a couple of mm deep - and you can't use it for that. Deeper holes - fine - that's what it's for. It ISN'T for skimming with.

Let's get this clear. The OP is trying to patch and blend a failing skim coat that is just a couple of mm thick. What he needs is a bag of multi and some experience and expertise. You cannot use a one coat plaster for that because the aggregate is too lumpy and rolls around like marbles. If you think you can use it - then tell me where the marbles go when you apply it - and blend it.?

If you have a lump of bonding that's fallen off down to the brick then a one-coat is fine, as you trowel the lumpy bits they sink into the mix.

Tell me if that's wrong.

Sponsored Links
I guess we all agree that I'm right then? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back