skimming a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am skimming the small bed room at the moment two wall i have done that is ok but i am now going to skim the ceiling now as i have never skimed a ceiling befor can i do it in two halfs as i mite not be quick enough to skim it in one go. Also will i see the joins when it dry's out or if some one has more tip's on skimming ceilings. My dad did say just make the mix a bit weter so it gives me more time befor it gos off.

Sponsored Links
makeing it wetter wnt hold it back mate plaster setting is a reaction once its mixed it has as long as it takes, also if you make it wetter you will be slower as itll be harder to handel for a novice.
what size is the ceilin, youll be supprised at how much you can get on without it goin off.

If your going to do it in two halves, you can stagger your joints so its less visable. Sort of like /\/\/\/\/\
the eye cant follow a line like that as easy as a straight one.

Sponsored Links
Get someone to help you, if you have a guage of water ready for the second coat then can mix up when you are nearing the end of the first coat and you can lay it on straight away while your mate cleans up from the first mix. You will also need him/her to brush and wipe the skim you drop off of your fresh walls!

can't be any bigger than one of the walls at that size, you'll be fine if done ok with those, just remember, BIG SWEEPS of the trowel to lay it on, won't take you long, but be organised, have your buckets ready, water ready, tools ready, brush bucket ready etc it could save you valuable time in between mixes/coats.

that is only 63 square ft mate youll cover it in one bucket easily mate trust me youll be supprised at how much you can do wen you need to, i reckon a diyer as you seem to be will have it on in ten mins youll have plenty of time, i wouldnt stagger it either as you are a diyer youll struggle to feather in to nothing makeing it seemless and the joins will stand out like a sore thumb even to the intrained eye.
do it in one youll be fine trust me im a plasterer :LOL:

Ceilings are much harder than walls but you have to master them sometime; if you’re not confident about doing it in one hit, a trick I’ve used in the past is to divide it up using a thin coat stop bead;

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/p...oat Plaster Stop Bead Galvanised 2.4m 3mm 560

Fit the bead so you plaster up to the outside edge, not over the mesh as you would normally; run a blade down the edge of the bead & remove it before the plaster fully sets. You can then plaster the other half up to the plaster edge when you remove the bead. If you do it well, it requires little or no filler over the join & I’ve never had one crack.

I’ve not use it on ceilings, mainly to divide up what was the outside wall on a couple of Edwardian conservatories which can be well over 4m high. I’ve also used it to “crack on” & part finish a wall where building work is yet to be completed on another part of the wall, plastering up to it usuallly much later & have still had no problems with cracking at the join.

Make sure second coat is mixed in a clean bucket - don't let previous mix drive off your new stuff. This is key, as it having everything organised as mentioned.

If I need to make a joint for some reason , I'll uses a double layer of fibatape in a straight line. Plaster halfway over it . On second trowel pull off the scrim and clean back anywhere you have gone over too far.

If you work into this, and the joint is not fresh eg next day just make sure the first section is well wet down and clean back the excess with every trowel.

Finish mixed stiffer will set quicker, but as jr says, mixing it too runny will only mess you up

Right guys i have done my first ceiling and i did ok not as good as the pros put a good job nun the les wife happy so thats good. Thanxs for all your help guys. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back