skimming artexed wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy new year to all, anyone had this before,
job was to skim 4 artexed walls, removed high spots of a not to vicious pattern, sealed all walls with Pva, one exterior wall had a suspect patch on it but put a protimeter on it and readings were within normal acceptances. Prior to double skim 3:1 Pva again and got on with it. Customer and me happy with job. 2days later artex pattern starts appearing on only the exterior wall skimmed finish, not horrendous but it is visible, never had this before and not sure of the cause,maybe noseall has come across this one, grateful for any input.

Sponsored Links
The best indicators of any moisture/damp in a wall, are Gypsum plasters. Although a Protimeter will indicate the probable moisture/damp content in a wall etc,, Gypsum plasters will "show you",,,, exactly,,,, every square inch of it..... They draw moisture/damp like a sponge. :(

Roughcaster.

I haven't had to skim over "Artex" for a while now, but when I did I would give the wall a good unibonding and leave it for 24 hours then next day before skimming would unibond again and get everything set up and them skim..I think that what ever you seal the "Artex" with you must leave the first coat to go off, The PVA's that are around now are not (In my opinion) as good as they were years ago,and they take longer to "go off". I haven't used "Bond it" but heard good reports about, but I can't comment on that one...Good Luck....

I dont know if this will help but anytime i skim over artex i always mix up a grout of silver sand or playpit sand cement and febond pva. I mix it like sandtex paint and then paint it on it starts to pick up fairly quick and plus pulles in the first coat of plaster. Then you can lay it down with the second coat. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back