Artex Showing through new plaster skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I bought a 1930s house a few years ago and all the walls had been newly skimmed. However on one wall there were small circular patterns slightly showing through. It had been painted onece also and only visible when close up.

When coming to decorate I sanded down the walls where the patterns were to get a smooth finish. I am now concerned that this could have been an artex wall behind the plaster?

On the photo attached you can slightly see the circle pattern where I sanded it down. It does ot look like any artex design I've seen before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated On what it could be.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_213024_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_213024_Photos.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20240313_213030_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_213030_Photos.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Because there was a slight textured pattern showing through as seen on the post. Sanded down to get the best finish before paint.

But was it texture or colour? Could you feel it? Did you try painting to see if you could still see it?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I painted it and could still see a faint pattern on the wall, on some parts it sanded down to a brown ish colour as seen on one of the photos, however I can't remember on the rest. Not totally sure though.The pattern was a small ish circle pattern, very symmetrical. Could it be an old wallpaper design? House was bought from the council.

No I have already sanded it flush. My concern is weather it could be potentially an asbestos artex texture beneath the skim. I have looked into artex designs and doesn't look like any of them but I'm really inexperienced with it all.

Thanks.

No I have already sanded it flush. My concern is weather it could be potentially an asbestos artex texture beneath the skim. I have looked into artex designs and doesn't look like any of them but I'm really inexperienced with it all.

The design or pattern in the artex, has no bearing on whether it contains, or not, asbestos.

I am now concerned that this could have been an artex wall behind the plaster
If it was, what do you propose to do about it now? If the artex contained asbestos which you have released into the air by sanding it then you are too late to do anything about that.

All I am looking for is what people have experienced in the past and weather or not they have come across this pattern in particular. Could it be the plaster. Or wallpaper? Is it common or not. It was only the one wall that showed it.

The design or pattern in the artex, has no bearing on whether it contains, or not, asbestos.
Yes I understand that. From my photo it just looks like to neat of a pattern to be artex? I know artex is done by had which leads me to think it's something else. I just don't know what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back