Skimming chases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have some chases to fill, a few are quite wide. The cases are partially filled with mortar/pva to between 2-5mm. The surface of the mortar is scrached. Before the first skim should the mortar be brushed with pva, if so what pva/water ratio, should the pva be wet, or left to go tacky or dry?

When skimming must I build up the skim in layers? If so, what is the max thickness of layer and how long should the plaster be allowed to go off before applying the next layer?

There is one socket surround that needs doing too, but that is much deeper - approx 10mm. Can I deep-fill with muti-finish in layers, or must it be built up eg with mortar first (I'm not going to buy a bag of a base coat just for that though).

Thanks,
Lu

Sponsored Links
Get some bonding and put some pva (3-1) over the chases. Mix a bit of bonding together with a dash of cement with it then fill your chases and let it go off then scrap it back so it is a couple of mill below the finished surface and devil it up a little, then skim it with a coat of multi let that pick up then another coat of multi and let that pick up and when its right bring it to a finish so all your chases are flush. Sounds easy doesn't it ? Well it is if you have all the materials that are left over from other jobs that you have done, like most of the spreads on here will have and it doesn't cost that much to do. But that is what makes the difference when we explain how to do jobs like this when we have all the materials and you don't . So some times "little jobs" like this that are easy for us to explain to do becomes a lot more expensive for you as you haven't got the access to the materials we all have left over from jobs.So sometimes it is more cost effective to let a tradesman you know or is recommended to you to do the job.... ;)

Totally agree Roy!
You won't believe what's hiding under all the sh*te I'm my van
There's always a bit of something for those small jobs!

Just yesterday found a bit of bonding under a load of sheets when I was short it was that old you could hardly see the writing let alone date

Nowt wrong with a bit of old stuff on those small patches

Back to the op you can use sand & cement but be warned it's not as easy as it looks the bonding/hardwall is better option for novice

It sounds like you have a trowel of some degree so if you haven't got a trade acc anywhere non over to wickes and get your gear
Just had an email from them their bonding is £5.85 and thing multi finish maybe £5 so for a tenner I wouldn't mess about unless you a know what your doing or b have a mate who's a spread and buy them a beer to do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back