Advice on plaster preparation needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all advice needed please! I have stripped my hallway and exposed some old concretey crappy plaster underneath but mainly solid. The rest of the hallway has been drylined and looking fine. I want to have a go at skimming this wall as the victorian stringer going up the stairs is original and I don't want to remove it or board down to it as there will be an ugly edge. Anyway, long story short what should I do before having a go with multi finish? Is it ok to skim straight on top of? I was going to pva it 1:5 then 1:3 when dry and skim on top of tacky pva. There are holes in the wall where long nails rawl plugs etc have been pulled out. Am I ok to fill these with easy-fill pva and skim? Or should they be bonded? I don't really want to buy a massive bag of bonding just to do a few holes? Many thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
You seemed to have it "Sussed" but cut the PVA down to 4-1 let it dry then 2-1 over it and skim when tacky. Also on you first coat of pva get some scrim tape and put 2 or 3 pieces over the holes and joints then let it dry then put your second coat on and that should stop the cracks appearing later...

Great thanks Roy, so easy fill the holes, then scrim on top of these, then pva, then skim?

That will do mucka,,Don't forget to tape the straight joints.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back