Skimming Estimate conflict

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it unreasonable for me to challenge a bill which over estimated the area of walls skimmed?

The estimate itemised the task at x£/m2 but when the bill arrived I calculated that the actual 'area' skimmed was vastly below the estimated figure.

The plasterer is saying that the bill is for skimming 2 rooms and the 'm2' is irrelevant!

Surely not?

Sponsored Links
Difficult when you rely on an estimate instead of a quote; an estimate is not legally binding.

How much was the estimate, how long were they there, how many did the job & how much did they bill you?

As the estimate referred to a unit cost of x£/m2, then I would have thought that the final bill should reflect the actual m2 skimmed.

How many were on the job and for how long is irrelevant if the original agreement was based on x£/m2.

As the estimate referred to a unit cost of x£/m2, then I would have thought that the final bill should reflect the actual m2 skimmed.

How many were on the job and for how long is irrelevant if the original agreement was based on x£/m2.
OK fine; just trying to help you resolve your conflict ;) But without knowing what you’ve actually been asked to pay (regardless of the estimate which has no legal standing) it’s difficult. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Is it unreasonable for me to challenge a bill which over estimated the area of walls skimmed?
Yes.

The estimate itemised the task at x£/m2 but when the bill arrived I calculated that the actual 'area' skimmed was vastly below the estimated figure.
So what? You aren't objecting to the estimated price, so just pay the bill.

The plasterer is saying that the bill is for skimming 2 rooms and the 'm2' is irrelevant!
Quite so.

Surely not?
Why not? Did you want the entire room plastered, or was just a specific part of one wall?

if you received the estimate before he started work, you should have verified it before accepting it, as you had the opportunity. It's a bit late to quibble now.

You may have been given the rate per m for skimming but did you take into account, removing furniture, sheeting up, pva (usually 2 coats),scraping wallpaper off (that was guaranteed not to be there when they arrived) filling in with bonding,removing sockets,removing switches, removing curtains or blinds, removing archy or skirting, beading up, taping up, loading up and cleaning up just a thought :D oh and not to forget deasil has gone up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back