Prep for plastering, est costs and approach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello:

I am decorating a bedroom and wondered about how to best prepare the room for plastering, the estimate cost (range) and approach used.
I am based just outside London near Chorleywood.

Two jobs...

Job 1 Ceiling

The ceiling has artex at the moment and because I am a little concerned that it could be asbestos type I have been told that skimming over is safest.

The area is approx 4.5m x 2.6m. and we have coving already in place in good condition and would like to preserve the edge lip which I think is possible as the artex doesn't protrude too much.

Job 2 Walls

I'm stripping the wall at the moment and figuring out if it needs a skim over or not. Some of it will come down to affordability.
The surface area of all 4 walls combined is approx 26m^2. 1 Window and 1 Door.

Questions

Do I need to do anything to prepare the Artex for plastering?
Is there a specific approach that is best for plastering over artex or is it just finishing plaster skimmed directly over?
Aside from stripping the walls, filling cracks, light sanding and washing clean, would I need to do anything else to prepare the walls for plastering?

What is a reasonable price to pay for Job 1 alone? and for Job 1 and 2 together?
How much time roughly should each job take?

After the plasterer is done can I just paint over or do is there something I need to do to prepare for painting!

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks v much!

Sponsored Links
Do I need to do anything to prepare the Artex for plastering?

Is there a specific approach that is best for plastering over artex or is it just finishing plaster skimmed directly over?

Depending how stippled the artex is, it may require a tight bonding coat over before the finish.
I'd suggest if you ensured it was clean and a good surface to plaster on to (eg wash with sugar soap) that should be fine.

Aside from stripping the walls, filling cracks, light sanding and washing clean, would I need to do anything else to prepare the walls for plastering?

I'd just strip the walls and ensure there are no loose bits. What do you plan on filling the cracks with? Not polyfilla or the like I hope. You may be better letting your pro fill these so they are flush and well stuck on

What is a reasonable price to pay for Job 1 alone? and for Job 1 and 2 together?
How much time roughly should each job take?

Can't help you much here. Get comparable quotes from three recommended tradesmen and go from there

After the plasterer is done can I just paint over or do is there something I need to do to prepare for painting!

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks v much!

Let it dry out thoroughly eg a week. Even after it goes light after a day or so, still drying.
Mist coat on first (white emulsion well diluted eg 50:50 with water)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back