Skimming external corner without beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin' all,

Been away for a week and come home all nice and relaxed and ready for a hectic three weeks.

Starting a job tomorrow, hall, stairs & landing and a living room. Hall, stairs and landing fairly straight forward although I'm a little worried about being able to lay it on fast enough due to the layout. However, I'll figure a solution for a platform that doesn't need to be shifted half way through.

My question is about some corners I've gotta do in the living room. There is a doorway from the living room to the dining room but there's no door or architrave - and there won't be once the job's finished either. I'ts basically going to be an opening.

Now I can't stick an angle bead on these edges because that means having to skim the inside of the opening to cover the bead and if I do that I'll be stuck with the same problem on the other side of the opening anyway.

So, what's the best way to skim to an external corner without using angle beads?How do i get a decent finish?

Cheers

Fred

Sponsored Links
Do you hear gas fitters saying "How do I fit this boiler?"

Did you serve an apprenticeship? Are you a 'real' plasterer? Or a 4 day course cowboy?

Sponsored Links
it is difficult to achieve a decent finish without beads. you are constantly touching the corner up with a wet brush and more skim.

you can tack a lath up one angle and skim. let this go off then the next day skim the adjacent face. usually too time consuming though. :rolleyes:

pack it in Joe, please.

noseall said:
it is difficult to achieve a decent finish without beads. you are constantly touching the corner up with a wet brush and more skim.

you can tack a lath up one angle and skim. let this go off then the next day skim the adjacent face. usually too time consuming though. :rolleyes:

pack it in Joe, please.

Cheers Noseall,

I'd been thinking of something similar, using a piece of skirting or even just hardboard so it overhangs the edge which I can then skim up to although I don't really want to damage the plaster in the opening. Could do without having to patch it, no matter how small. The adjascent face doesn't need doing though so the other thing that worries me is the corner being weak and susceptible to knocks.

Time's no issue though because I can get those bits done in between the hall, stairs and landing before moving on to finish the living room.

Thanks again

Fred

Could you use a stop bead rather than a corner bead?

tjg said:
Could you use a stop bead rather than a corner bead?

Hi tjg,

I'd toyed with the idea of stop beads but there is too much of a lip (visible from inside the opening) for me to be happy with the finish. I usually only use them when they will be hidden by architrave or something. I think I'll take a chance on skimming up to a piece of hardboard and hope it's strong enough at the edges. If not it'll have to be re-done, possibly using stop beads.

Unless anyone else has any other solutions?

Regards

Fred

fred use a queenie its a external twich if you never used one it
will take time to get use to it.
hope this helps

id first tack ply up 1side to work off, then remove ply during last few trowels to trim back access or id use stop bead an finish edge with decorators coulk prior to paint

That post is months old. Nobody has seen fred since.

I like Fred.

I have never come across a plasterer who gives advice then asks others how to do it..

RIP Fred, hope your new career is one you are better suited too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back