skimming over extremely dry lime plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House was built in 1902

The lime plaster is extremely porous and will suck all moisture out the multifinish

What is the cheapest yet effective way in dealing with this before skimming with multifinish?

thanks

Sponsored Links
what would you do?
Dot and dab plasterboard (would 9mm be ok for wall or 12.5?) then skim?

Sponsored Links
Hi. It is on an internal wall and my house was built in 1902 - am i getting confused and maybe its not lime?
I'll get a picture now...

Attachments

• 16030533593477276471743677887844.jpg
    16030533593477276471743677887844.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 205
if it’s only internal walls and theres no hollows or blown bits crack on with multi, providing theres no signs of rising damp....mesh any cracks and vulnerable areas , around and above doors etc. soak it in neat pva with some sand in . leave 24 hrs and skim.

if it’s only internal walls and theres no hollows or blown bits crack on with multi, providing theres no signs of rising damp....mesh any cracks and vulnerable areas , around and above doors etc. soak it in neat pva with some sand in . leave 24 hrs and skim.

great thanks for your help

there is one quite big crack from previous times as a result of subsidence - crack is in corner of room. What would you fill this with?

Also, i have some sharp sand, would that be ok to use with neat pva?

fill the big crack out first with whatever you have , multifinish if you have it . then tape over it vertically and pva and skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back