Skimming over Tile Adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed the bottom 10" of render/plaster on a party wall in my newly-bought home. This is in the front room and dining room.

The plaster had bubbled up and the render was crumbling, but only at the very bottom of the wall. I later found out it was because the next door neighbour had a leak in the 1980s which had soaked the bricks; previous owners of our house never re-plastered the wall. Bricks were exposed for around 4 months through Winter and were bone dry. We are on concrete floors and the how was build higher than most on the street due to floods in 1947.

After taking the advice of a family member, I wet the bricks with a sponge and then used Mapei Tile Adhesive mixed with sand to coat the exposed bricks as render. This was then leveled off leaving a set back of around 2-4mm for the new plaster to go onto. I know it's not the traditional way of rendering, but the advice came from somebody who has been working on houses since the '60s - I've seen their work and know they do things from experience and skill.

The walls have been rendered now for 4 weeks so they have had time to fully dry.

What are the best steps to go about applying a skim coat of plaster to this - would Thistle Multi-Finish be sufficient? It's a fairly small area (10" of the bottom of the wall), so less of a challenge, but I do want to take some advice before starting. I have skimmed large plasterboards upstairs where I dry lined a bay window and I'm very happy with results, but appreciate this is slightly different.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from somebody.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. My knowledge tells me to paste with a 4:1 Water/PVA mix, let dry, then paste again with the mix and plaster it when this is tacky.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back