Skimming PB or not

M

marsaday

i thought you have to skim plasterboard , but have found out you can just fill the gaps between the boards and then paint them.

is this correct? what are the advantages of doing this (apart from time saving and labour cost). i am converting my loft, will i need to provide a skim finish?

if i went for non skim finish what board type do i need and what product do you use to fill in the gaps?

Sponsored Links
This called joint taping, ideally you need tapered edged boards.
You tape the joints with a nylon scrim these is self adheshive.
Then apply a jointing compound, I use easifill, this well need sanding down when dry, it will take three application to have the joint even and smooth.
This can then be primed and painted.
The sanding part is the pain it's messy and dusty.
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...ries/gyproc_accessories/gyproc_easi-fill.aspx
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plasterboard-95mm/Tapered-Edge-Plasterboard/invt/220207
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plasterboard-Jointing-and-Repair-Tape/invt/163566

i thought you have to skim plasterboard , but have found out you can just fill the gaps between the boards and then paint them. is this correct?
You are correct - tape & fill; but use taper edge palster board not square edge. My addmitedly biased opinion but I hate it & think it has no place in a domestic property. It’s not as durable, will never look as good & will always give the impression of a Sunday afternoon DIY job; if you want it to look like a professional conversion, plaster it. ;)

what are the advantages of doing this (apart from time saving and labour cost).
That’s it, there are no other advantages & if it’s not done properly & with care it will look bloody awfull instead of just plain awfull. :cry:

i am converting my loft, will i need to provide a skim finish?
Best way if you want it to look good.

if i went for non skim finish what board type do i need and what product do you use to fill in the gaps?
PBD has done the honours but tape, fill & sand is just as much faffing around as putting on a plaster skim; skim it, you know it makes sense. ;)

i will skim as i can do this myself. so only costing my time.

i saw a blog and his house in scotland was being done the tape and fill way, apparently that is what thy prefer to do up there.

Sponsored Links
Taping jointing will be more time consuming anyway, as you need to apply tapes, then 3 separate applications of joint compound, that all need to be left to dry, then sanded.
So could take three days today it.
As with plastering you can do it in one shot, then wait for it dry out.
I do agree with Richard regarding plastering being a more durable product and will also protect your boards from damage, where joint taping wont and it can look an arse if not filled and sanded correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back