Skimming Quote for new extention?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I know a lot of you don't like talking about quotes on here but for those who do - perhaps you can help me by giving me a rough idea how much it would cost to skim a room I am extending?

The room consists of two parts. Half is the original part of the house. The walls have a sandtex type texture to them. The ceiling has artex put on in 1996 by the former owner. The other half of the room ( new extention) has been plasterboarded inc ceiling. One of the walls ( rear ) is 80% glass doors.
Overall the room measures approx 6m x 6m and as I said- the rear wall is mainly glass.

I've just had one quote from a company - to do the new extention ( skim ) which will be about 34sqm + cover the artex on the original ceiling ( 18sqm )

£800.

To skim the rest of the walls ( about 18sqm in original house ) they want another £600.

Total £1400 for skimming the new room.

I'm still waiting for 2 more quotes but does £1400 sound about right?

your thoughts please!

Sponsored Links
Hi

That quote does sound a little high i would think you should get a decent job done for around 1000,but not always best to go with cheapest try and find someone who can recommend you a good plasterer,you don't want to be paying for it twice after a cowboys been in.

Good luck mate

Hi

That quote does sound a little high i would think you should get a decent job done for around 1000,but not always best to go with cheapest try and find someone who can recommend you a good plasterer,you don't want to be paying for it twice after a cowboys been in.

Good luck mate

Thanks for the reply cjam.

It's decent people like you who would always get my money. When you come back to civvy life you notice many changes and loose reality on what the costs of tradesman rates are. Not being an expert plasterer I'm more than grateful for you to give a little bit of your time to help people like me and many others out in your own time.

regards

For what you have said and without seeing it, I would say probably 4 days work at the very most. So if you work on the basis of 2 men on £150 aday then it comes out about £1200. That is a 4 day quote, and I would'nt think it would take them that long.They should easy cover 40-60 metres a day (1 spread and 1 labourer come good helper)..Good luck..

Sponsored Links
For what you have said and without seeing it, I would say probably 4 days work at the very most. So if you work on the basis of 2 men on £150 aday then it comes out about £1200. That is a 4 day quote, and I would'nt think it would take them that long.They should easy cover 40-60 metres a day (1 spread and 1 labourer come good helper)..Good luck..

Thanks so much Roy,

I now realize how much a professional trademan earns per day it will help me budget when I need more jobs done around the house.

regards

The only quote that matters is the quote you accept. We aren't quoting as we haven't even seen the job. Pointless. Get quotes in the REAL world.

Well, why didn'y you say in the 1st place then?

If I was a plasterer - my response would have been something like -

" It's very difficult to give an idea of how much a job would cost because of various factors such as access, moving furniture, type of existing wall/ceiling covering etc. But, a skilled plasterer would charge of average X amount per day + materials etc"

You see, a lot different to your reply and it would earn you some respect.

If you didn't want to help then there was no need to make a reply of any kind.

Simple as that.

It used to be a forum rule - NO PRICE ENQUIRIES. It's a rule that should be brought back. It's just pointless giving quotes without seeing the job, and who really cares what someone on a forum thinks anyway? It's not the real world is it?

From what you've said I'd say one bloke three days plus materials - around £500 - 600 quid. But what does that prove? It's the REAL quote you need.

quote from joe 90
It used to be a forum rule - NO PRICE ENQUIRIES. It's a rule that should be brought back. It's just pointless giving quotes without seeing the job, and who really cares what someone on a forum thinks anyway? It's not the real world is it?

Its not a forum rule now, and if a person wants to give a quote and another person is thankful for it, thenI can't see a problem with that. As for someone on a forum really caring, I don't think there would be need for a forum if people didn't care! And it is the real world Joe!!! You can tell by the questions asked and the questions answered. And if your wondering what I am doing posting on here at this time of day and not working ,well its a "Bank-Holiday" where I live!!!

And if your wondering what I am doing posting on here at this time of day and not working ,well its a "Bank-Holiday" where I live!!!
Hmmm; I thought that would give your abode away, I’m still curious! :?: but all a Google search threw up was some rather bizarre options for today & certainly not in the UK; nearest that made any sense was the Spanish Bull Run! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back