Skimming costs & Best Option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just added an extension to my lounge giving me an overall room size of about 5.5m sq. One of the walls has bi folding doors 4.4m wide.

The new extension part has been drylined ( half of the room size). The existing/old part of the lounge has a 'orange peel' type texture on the walls and that part of the ceiling has artex ( put on in 1997).

I'm not too sure which is the best way of finishing the walls and ceiling. Obviously skimming by a professional is No1 choice but this comes at a price.
If I was to tape up the joints etc what sort of price would a plasterer charge per day? I would imagine it would take a couple of days?

Secondly, in the extention which has been dry lined - could I simply just tape and fill the boards then rub down and paint - saving me a few quid? Or is this false economy - as it would take me a day to do this and I could of had a plasterer in?

Finally, is there any descent plasterer out there who wants this job in Eastbourne!! Empty clean room with no furniture to move!

regards

B

Sponsored Links
Forget doing it yourself. get a plasterer in and have it done and dusted in afew days.. Expect to pay £150- £200 a day. Make sure you get one that comes recommended and ask him to give you a price for the whole lot....
Good Luck....

Forget doing it yourself. get a plasterer in and have it done and dusted in afew days.. Expect to pay £150- £200 a day. Make sure you get one that comes recommended and ask him to give you a price for the whole lot....
Good Luck....
I agree with roy’s sentiments, it’s worth doing a proper job. But I'd drop that a little to £130 - £180 per day; £200 or more is pushing it but it depends where your located; a jobbing builder or developer won’t pay that rate, especially at the moment!

Thanks Guys,

A proper professional skim job it will be then.

Just a couple more questions- I can tape the boards and pva the walls myself but I'm not too sure on the 'orange peel' type texture on my old existing lounge? It has also been painted in silk emulsion. Does this need any special preperation or can this simply be pva'd and skimmed?

Also, the old part of the ceiling has artex on. It also has some downlights. Would it be best to pull out the downlights and cover them ( leave them dangling on the cable) or remove them and tuck the cable back into the ceiling whilst the ceiling is being skimmed?

regards

B

Sponsored Links
You could tape the joins but it’ll take a plasterer just a few minutes so not really much to be gained & some have particular preference for tape. Talk to your plasterer before doing any prep. work; some prefer to do their own so they can control things end to end, no comeback then. If they are happy for you to help out, follow their instructions to the letter. It’s not usual to PVA virgin boards beforehand but, again, let your plasterer decide.

Skimming silk emulsion does need more prep. work. The surface needs to be scored thoroughly before hand; I use the point of an old scraper & very stiff wire brush, apply a bonding mix of PVA the night before & let it dry thoroughly, PVA again & skim when it’s tacky, as normal. But, again, talk to your plasterer first; don’t worry about the orange peel, it’s not a problem.

Skimming over Artex is more work but it can easily be done. If it’s only part Artexed mixed with new, virgin boards, the difference in levels may be a problem. If there isn’t much Artex, it may be best to remove it (steam cleaner); but, again, let your plasterer look at it & decide the best way to proceed. Remove the downlights & tape the cables up into the ceiling.

Get several quotes & make sure you get someone who actually knows what they are doing, unfortunately many don’t & you only find out when it’s too late! Go on recommendation if you can & don’t pay until the jobs done & your happy. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back