Skimming slightly uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

If someone asks you to do a skimming job where the wall has lots of divots and they want it to be nice and smooth, what would you do if the wall wasn't completely flat because of areas where it bulges in.

Would you try and fill these areas with the finishing plaster while you are skimming, or is skimming always a case of making the depth of the plaster uniform over the whole wall?

Or would you put an initial layer of plaster on to try and fill these areas first?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't do plaster work for other people unless you know what you are doing.

Would you change their car's clutch?

Or fit a new boiler?

I'd be interested in an answer to this as well !

I've got a plasterboard alcove which isn't 100% level...
So does a plasterer just skim a uniform 3mm thickness across the plasterboard... resulting in an unlevel finish?

Or do they have the skills for a level so a skim could be 3mm in places and 6mm in others ?

Not suggesting that I do it myself :LOL:

I'd be interested in an answer to this as well !

I've got a plasterboard alcove which isn't 100% level...
So does a plasterer just skim a uniform 3mm thickness across the plasterboard... resulting in an unlevel finish?

Or do they have the skills for a level so a skim could be 3mm in places and 6mm in others ?

Not suggesting that I do it myself :LOL:

Plasterboard should fixed level to begin with then just a skim.

If it were a brick wall then you use undercoat plaster to fill out the wall and imperfections - then simply skim the levelled surface afterwards.
A decent plasterer can make imperfect walls perfect. (as can an amateur with application and practice)

Sponsored Links
Depending on how far the wall is out but you can use bonding to level off.

PVA the wall (no need with plasterboard) apply bonding, level off with straight edge allow to darken 2 coats of multi finish.

Easier said than done but hey give it a go! What's the worst that could happen :?:

Merry Xmas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back