Skimming Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently renovating our hallway to get rid of the horrible old textured wallpaper. Having spent the day taking it off, we've found that the walls underneath were never plastered so we are left with grey render (looks like a prison!) and need to get them skimmed.

Do we need to sugarsoap the walls to remove all traces of the wallpaper glue?

Some walls are plasterboard and the steaming and scraping has removed the board paper in places leaving a very uneven surface. Is this ok to skim?

We have one plasterboard wall left to do but won't start this until we receive some advice on whether we've done the right thing! Thinking we maybe should have left the second layer of wallpaper on?

:)

Sponsored Links
You may as well do the last wall, no one wants to skim on top of wallpaper. Asuming you are getting someone in to do the plastering and want to keep costs down your best bet is to ask your plasterer if there is any further prep you can do before he/she starts work.

Some walls are plasterboard and the steaming and scraping has removed the board paper in places leaving a very uneven surface. Is this ok to skim?

This is exactly the reason it is always advised to get gyproc p/b walls skimmed.
sounds as though you will need to get the damaged walls re-sheeted.
pics would help.

Your plasterer will be able to advise after he’s seen it but don't strip any further if its causing damage to the plaster board & don’t use anything other than water or you could create problems for your plasterer & ultimately you!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies and advice. We bumped into the plasterer in Wickes on Sunday and talked to him about this. He said we need to remove all of the wallpaper and not to worry if some of the top paper on the plasterboard comes with it. He'll put PVA on before the plaster.

Does that sound right? I've certainly read that PVA is used in plastering but is the right situation?

My plasterer will always PVA the walls/ceilings before plastering, none has fallen off yet and I have used him for years..

Thanks for the replies and advice. We bumped into the plasterer in Wickes on Sunday and talked to him about this. He said we need to remove all of the wallpaper and not to worry if some of the top paper on the plasterboard comes with it. He'll put PVA on before the plaster.

Does that sound right? I've certainly read that PVA is used in plastering but is the right situation?
Yes it’s standard procedure as pompeyal points out but not always essential; correctly used, PVA is probably a plasterer’s best friend but it can be a tilers worst enemy. I would, however, avoid damaging the paper facing on the plasterboard too much, if you destroy too much of it there will be nothing holding the gypsum core together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back