Skimming walls

Sponsored Links
Gem_wigan said:
Can anyone tell me if this is an expensive job? How much roughly is it to get this done?

Howdy Gem, sadly Forum rules do not allow people to ask or give 'a rough quote' or any quote for that matter - I got caught out a while ago with this puppy too...!!

Best thing is to get 3-4 contractors round to give you a free estimate for the work, then decide as you see fit ... It never does any harm to barter their qoutes down too, once they are in...

Hope this helps! :cool:

what do you class as expensive?

how do you interpret value for money?

how long is a piece of string?

Sponsored Links
ok, no need for the sarcastic comments.

I'm coming on this site as I dont know anything about DIY, I'm not an expert so I thought I'd ask advice.

Silly me was under the impression that the real 'experts' wanted to help

Gem_wigan said:
ok, no need for the sarcastic comments.

I'm coming on this site as I dont know anything about DIY, I'm not an expert so I thought I'd ask advice.

Silly me was under the impression that the real 'experts' wanted to help

Gem_wigan, i wasn't being sarcastic.

you haven't specified a thing.

are the walls new boards or existing plastered walls?

are they artexed?

are they painted?

upstairs or downstairs?

walls and ceilings?

how big??

do you see where i'm coming from. :rolleyes:

Yes i do understand, but as I said- I am not a DIY person so I havent got a clue about these things!

The room that needs doing is my bedroom. I have took off around 6 bloody layers of wallpaper that the previous owners couldn't be bothered to do. The walls seem ok but there are a couple of small cracks. It also feels a bit 'grainy' if u get me. I'm wanting to paint straight on it so I thought it would need skimming.

Gem_wigan said:
Yes i do understand, but as I said- I am not a DIY person so I havent got a clue about these things!

The room that needs doing is my bedroom. I have took off around 6 b****y layers of wallpaper that the previous owners couldn't be bothered to do. The walls seem ok but there are a couple of small cracks. It also feels a bit 'grainy' if u get me. I'm wanting to paint straight on it so I thought it would need skimming.

Gem, have you washed the walls down with sugar soap yet? The 'grainy' feeling could well be the dried wallpaper paste and other bits of crud, and suagr soap is designed to 'cut' this off the walls - it's like a strong detergent, mixed with water. You can by it from most DIY shops.

If the walls are good quality and smooth, they probably don't need skimming, but if they are heavily cracked, gouged, rippled etc, and you want a good quality finish, get em skimmed...like I said earlier, get 3 reputable contractors in to do you a qoute... :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back