Skip for old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have taken the first floor back to brick (photos below)

Obviously, I now need to get rid of it all as its pilling up in the front garden. However, im just reading through what can and cant be put in skips and it states plasterboard as "no". Is this the case for the type of plaster I have pulled off aswell?

Thanks for any help!

view

view

view

Attachments

• IMG-20180611-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20180611-WA0006.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-20180611-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20180611-WA0005.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG-20180611-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20180611-WA0004.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-20180611-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20180611-WA0003.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
Erm, I'm not aware of any problems. If it was rubble, brick and soil then the skip would normally be half the price as it tends to get recycled. I would imagine plaster would go to land fill. That's normally the case in my area!

Also, I noticed the fireplace has been bricked up. Normally best to reopen them or fit a 9" x 9" vent. The warm air drafting up the chimney stops condensation in the flu which can often cause damp around the base of the chimney stack.

ther are regs out there about this but just how well its enforced is spotty. best practice is p/board and gypsum plasterit should be re-cycled. for that youd have to ask local tip or waste carrier.
anyway, id guess you have removed lime render from your walls not gypsum based plaster.

one fireplace is open an,as above, the other should be opened so should any fireplaces on the ground floor. then sweep all flues and ventilate top an bottom of any flues.

condensation in a flue can happen anywhere in the length of the flue

remove your rad and skirting to clean off thewall behind them.

I’ve had this conversation with a few skip companies...

Gypsum plasterboard is mildly acidic when it gets wet in landfill. This isn’t a problem by itself, but if it’s mixed with certain other kinds of waste, the acidity can react with the other waste in undesireable ways. So plasterboard ought to be separated from other waste and go into its own hole in the landfill.

I’ve also been told that it is recycled by being ground into dust and spread on potato fields where it helps give the spuds good skins.

In reality, the mini-skips I’ve used have just taken it at the normal price with no trouble.

I guess gypsum plaster should have the same issues as boards, but I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned as such.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys!
I will give the skip companies a chase as a few of them were checking for me and never came back.
I am also assuming that its lime plaster that I have removed as the house itself is around 100 years old.
I assume that lime plaster doesn't react the same way as gypsum plaster?

Thanks for the advice in regards to the fireplace aswell. I was planning to open them up anyway but I definitely will do now! (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back