Skirting/Arcitrave/picture rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to undertake so work on my house, this will involve taking a wall down.

I want to continue using skirting/arcitrave/picture rails, but I cannot find any the same anywhere, have anybody got any ideas on what I can do

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hello, and Welcome!!

Have you just gone around looking for stuff to match, or have you taken a bit in with you and asked if they can make some specially?

Depending on your skills/tools/daring-do personality, you could make your own on a router table...

trend do a whole host of cutters for this sort of thing.
http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/index.php

No I have not taken any to a place to see if they can make them.

I also dont have a router to be able to do this, if I did I think I would give it a go

Where would you reccomend to go to see if it can be made??

Have you just gone around looking for stuff to match, or have you taken a bit in with you and asked if they can make some specially?

i just reread what i typed, it looks a bit 'in your face - sorry - not meant to :oops:

I would have a look in he yellow pages for timber merchants ( i have one local in my region that can cut that sort of thing to match, so i'm guessing you would have similar. Not sure if travis/wickes/jewson etc do that sort of thing as i don't them very often.
If there isn't anyone your way the internet may comeup with similar companies further afield.

IMHO though you might find that depending on how much you require, it would be worth investing in a mid-range router &/or table and try yourself. very easy to do, just time consuming - but VERY rewarding!

Sponsored Links
Personally I think its a waste of time and money buying a router and cutters to try and recreate the pattern yourself. There will be a timber merchants in or around your area which will be able to cut them for you. Travis Perkins, Jewsons, etc won't be of any help, you need a proper timber merchant

You have several options.

If you do an internet search for 'timber moulding' you should find plenty of firms (like this one) offering all kinds of profiles for architrave, skirting, etc. However, you may not find an exact match.

The second option is to get someone to machine the mouldings for you. This will be expensive for a small job, especially as you will need skirting, architrave and picture rail sections.

Thirdly, as suggested here, invest in a router, table, cutters and learning how to use them. Everything will come in useful later but it won't be cheap, or quick.

The fourth option is the one I would consider in your place (if option 1 doesn't work out). Replace all the trim in the room with something off the shelf at the timber merchants, in a style to suit the house.

The fifth option, of course, is to leave the wall in place.

Hi Lee

I have replied to your question on one of the other forums you have posted this question on.

Hi Lee

It is very awkward to photograph thing that are white so I am going to have guess. I think it is a type of Lambs Tongue moulding. The architrave that normally goes with such a skirting is an Ovolo moulding. See page 2 of the guide.

I am sticking my neck out but I think it looks like a quadrate moulding as been added to the top of the lambs tongue. This as been carried out to disguise the gap that shows once the skirting has shrunk.

The photo of your architrave I just can’t make it out the same goes for the picture rail photo.

I think you will have difficulty in find any one who can supply you off the shelf. And if you did it most likely not the correct size (see note on guide)

But all is not lost as I make all my own mouldings I have problem in supplying your good self should you be able to find another suppler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back