Skirting Before or After

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I have just had all of the electrics redone in my 1900's victorian terrace.
Quite a few of the skirting boards were removed and will need to be replaced as its easier than sanding etc.

What i have noticed compared to modern skirting is that old skirting seems to be put on and plastered down to. New builds seem to plaster right down and stick skirting to the plaster.

What is the best method when re-plastering an old house.
Skirting on and plaster down to that or plaster right down

if i plaster right down will the skirting now stick out to far expecially when butting up to the door architraves.

Thanks All

Sponsored Links
If possible, always plaster the wall/s first, then put on the skirtings and architraves. Always feather the plaster away to nothing, where it meets the doorframe/s etc. Never plaster right down to the floor,, any floor, whether wooden or solid,, "always" leave at least a good inch or so of a space/gap.

The bottom of the wall will need t be brought out with some bonding before it is all skimmed, it would be best to remove the architraves too imo, all new woodwork on nicely plastered walls will look really nice, pre-primed MDF mouldings will follow the bendyness of your old walls, wont be cupped and bent and dont need the knots to be addressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back