Skirting board help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Was hoping for some kind advise of you pro's

I've just bought some 225mm high Regency style skirting board and architrave to match in with the existing in my house which happens to be Victorian so skirting is massive

My questions are these

1) non of my walls are square or plumb...whats the best way to fit skirting board and get good mitred finish and minimal gaps between wall and skirting

2) How the hell do i cut it, i dont think its gonna fit in my sliding compound saw.

3) What would you use to fill in any gaps due to un even walls, the skirting will be painted so it wont be to bad

4) Is there any tool i can buy to make measuring the angles of my walls easier?

5) What would you use to paint the skirting board and architrave? its pine and i want it to be white,,I dont want to gloss it as it always always just goes yellow after a while, and i want it white as I've got some double glazed French doors that are brilliant white.

6) Anyone know where i can find out how to make the detailed door head head pieces that sit on top of the architrave that go around openings in walls when rooms have been knocked in to one, or just above doors to fancy them up a bit.

Thank you all

Sponsored Links
1.smash the high points of plaster off the wall insure this is below the hight of the skirting and the skirting is plumb and fix back green gripfill and screws were possible ,cut mitres with chop saw and glue with mitre mate.
2.get a bigger saw.
3.Decorators caulk.
4.trend angle finder.find it at itslondon.co.uk
5.white satin.
6.you can make this with a 6"x1"with different size dowels and moulded timbers nailed on to the 6"x1" to make up your on vicky architraves.
hope this is useful good luck.javascript:emoticon(':)')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back