Skirting board turret blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am genuinely in two minds about whether skirting board turrets blocks are the most wonderful thing I've ever come across, or just some crappy idea for people who can't be bothered to do a job properly.

I bought a sliding compound mitre saw recently... I was quite looking forward to using it for doing some skirting... however, as I'm rather lazy, when I saw - earlier today - MDF turret blocks at around a Quid-fifty each, I started to think... hmm, wouldn't straight cuts and turret blocks just be so much easier for me?

But, is it a cop-out? Will people viewing the property I'm working on be just like me - in two minds... some will think, "that's really nice, I want to rent / buy this property" and others will think "gee, if he's done that short-cut, what else has he done half-assed"?

Sponsored Links
*googles turret blocks*

This what you mean?
pine_turret_block1.jpg

Quid fifty sounds like a lot for what amounts to a little piece of square moulding.

Yes, aren't they a wonderful 'invention'?

I am completely undecided whether they add anything to the effect, but they'd certainly make the job easier. And I'm sure you can get them cheaper...

Well you could just cut them off a length of square moulding! Maybe hold the corners on a sander for a few seconds to bevel the edges.

They're not unattractive, although the overall effect looks rather American to me.

Sponsored Links
That's very true (the making my own)... but I'm still undecided regarding the effect achieved.

I think it would look good in an Art Deco room. But if nothing else in the room has that square, geometric appearance (coving, architrave, fireplace?), it could look weird.

They look c**p. There's no substitute for mitred external corners, and scribed internal corners.

they just look bizarre... probably (a bit) better when painted, but still... bizarre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back