Skirting Boards and stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope someone can offer some advice.

Last weekend my wife decided we have put of the inevitable for long enough and so I started decorating our hall, stairway and landing.

I dutifully started stripping the wallpaper, lining paper and old dado rail from the walls only to find it was the paper holding the walls together. This carried on for a while until I decided it would be easier just to dryline the walls. This I have now completed and made good the joins ready for sealing.

The problem I now have is that the old skirting boards are now slightly recessed and look aweful. I want to now put new skirting over the old. This itself does not pose too many problems until I come to the staircase.

Can someone tell me, is it just (he says!) a case of working out the angles for the horizontal skirting meeting the board running up the stairs and then just cutting out for the treads? :confused:

Any help / advice on this greatly received.

Thanks again!

IR8Matt :confused:

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking that your plasterboards now overhang the stringer of the staircase and you want to fit a new board to the stringer to bring it proud again ?
If I'm right then you will need to lay the new board on the stairs standing on edge, as it would be fitted, with the corner of the board touching the floor and lay a level or a straight edge on each step and draw a line across onto the new timber. You can then measure the length of each tread and transfer this detail to the new timber along the pencil line and draw in the nosing and riser position . At the bottom and top where it meets the skirting it is just a simple job of finding the angle with a sliding bevel and cut it to suit.

Thanks DAZB,

Yep thats exactly the idea I had in mind, attaching the SB to the staircase stringer.

Any tips or tricks on how to measure the angle?

Thanks for confiming the worst!

Cheers

IR8Matt

Dont fancy that much as a job , basically the best way is to get a staircase jig and rout it out of one piece of wood even then I dont fancy it fitting invisiblely.
Good luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks Clappers :)

I couldn't think of any other way of doing it.

Would you have done it any other way?

You be better off making a rebate moulding fitted on top of the stringer then sit the plasterboard on top.

not really it is just one of those things it is possible though but will be difficult try doing as masona says, it wont look quite as it did before but would probably be ok with a decorative moulding

Quite possibly, but my plastering skills are somewhat lacking for the size of walls... :confused:

The walls were pretty aweful anyway and they look tons better for the new plasterboard. Managed to get away with just skimming the joints.

:D

Probably not the best way of doing it but it seems to have worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back