Skirting Boards - Gap for carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm just about to fit some new skirting on a property I'm renovating. Could anyone advise what gap (if any) I should leave between the bottom edge of the skirting and the floorboards to allow me to properly fit carpet (with underlay) at a later date?

Cheers,

Mat.

Sponsored Links
darcy - you don't leave any gap below the skirtings. Your carpet fitter should fit gripper strips (you know, those thin wooden strips with very sharp nails sticking up) around the perimeter of the room (and with a smallish gap to the skirtings). He'll then stretch the carpet over, and behind (into the gap) of the gripper; the sharp nails 'hold' the stretched carpet in position.

So fix your skirtings to lightly touch the floorboards.

darcy - you don't leave any gap below the skirtings. Your carpet fitter should fit gripper strips (you know, those thin wooden strips with very sharp nails sticking up) around the perimeter of the room (and with a smallish gap to the skirtings). He'll then stretch the carpet over, and behind (into the gap) of the gripper; the sharp nails 'hold' the stretched carpet in position.

So fix your skirtings to lightly touch the floorboards.

This advice is the same that is stated in the link in the above reply.

Sponsored Links
[quote="awbcm";p="1014907
This advice is the same that is stated in the link in the above reply.[/quote]

aw - I'd say broadly similar advice but with a little more 'meat on the bones' regarding reasons for our excellent advice to Mat. Anyway, it's often quicker to post than check a thread out ;)

aw - never intimated I couldn't be "bothered to read other members replies"; infact I did check the thread out and saw only 2 posts so considered adding my two-pennies worth. Expanded the the wisdom by hinting as to the carpet fitters needs. Many (most?) posts on the Forum duplicate/reinforce advice already given so I'm not sure what's wrong with that.

Let's not fall-out over this ...

hi, I've taken fitted wardrobes out of a bedroom which has got laminated floor with skirting boards on top of the laminate. Wardrobes have left hole in laminate and we want to take laminate up and re-carpet. to do a proper job, should i take all the existing skirting off and refit after taking up the laminate, before carpeting?

Thinking outside the box but would it be possible to carpet over the existing laminate ?

If so then all you need to do is plywood or something similar to bring the floor up to that of the laminate where the wardrobes were.

This solution may not be practical as you may have to re-trim the doors.

******UPDATE*******

Just to let you know (If your interested!!) i took the skirting off, just re-fitting it now after laying laminate again (we decided it'd be cheaper to lay laminate again).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back