Correct Skirting height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit new 7" torus skirting boards to freshly plastered lath-and-plater and brick walls. The guy who plastered tells me I should leave a 2-3mm gap between the skirting and the floorboards, to allow the carpet to be fitted, but everywhere I read tells me that new skirting should be fitted flush to floorboards. Which is the correct way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you fit them flush to the floor, you minimise draughts and black dust marks on your carpets...I know what I'd do!
John :)

the origional pupose off the skirting was to protect the plaster and seal the gap between floor and wall
think off it 100 years ago people never had carpets as only the ritch could afford them

Sponsored Links
i doubt very much you would be able to run it flush with the floor or with an even 2-3mm gap all the way round

i think you will find you end up with a combination of both, anything up to 10mm is fine for carpets, if you are worried about draughts run some sealant around the bottom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back